St Andrews Utd 2-7 Leith Athletic

St Andrews block the opposition route to goalSt Andrews block the opposition route to goal
St Andrews block the opposition route to goal
St Andrews United hosted a Leith Athletic side boasting eight wins in a row so far this season, writes Donald Gellatly.

The home team competed well until the final ten minutes, despite struggling to keep hold of the ball.

The visitors created the first chance of the game as Martin Maughan shot straight at Kyle Moran.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But the title favourites soon took the lead when Andrew Dempster scored from close-range.

United heap pressure on the Leith goal.United heap pressure on the Leith goal.
United heap pressure on the Leith goal.

However, Saints promptly equalised when Ali Wilkinson collected a clever pass from Owen Andrew before curling a wonderful effort between Cammy McLellan and his near post.

The Leith players upped the tempo in a bid to regain their lead and Brodie Mackenzie fired a decent shot straight at Moran whilst Maughan appealed in vain for a penalty following a sliding challenge by Michael Fleming.

Unfortunately, the men for Leith were not to be denied in the 28th minute when Callum Mein arrived at the back post to convert a great cross from the left by Maughan.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The next chance of the match fell to Jake Grady as his effort was blocked by McLellan.

United kept plugging away and Wilkinson went close with a dipping shot from 20 yards.

Moran also made a couple of good saves towards the end of a very entertaining first half but only one goal separated the sides at the interval.

The second period then began in a similar fashion as Wayne Sproule rattled the bar and Moran made a couple of smart saves from Maughan and Dempster.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Mackenzie found himself unmarked at the resulting corner and he powerfully headed the ball past Moran to make the score 3-1 in the 66th minute.

Leith subsequently missed another opportunity to move further ahead moments later when a corner was scrambled clear and St Andrews United immediately grabbed a lifeline when Ross Cunningham was fouled on the left touchline.

Andrew’s free kick bounced over a diving McLellan to make the score 3-2 but any hopes of staging a dramatic comeback were soon dashed when Wilkinson felled Sproule inside the box.

James Redpath calmly found the net with the ensuing spot kick to restore Leith’s two-goal advantage and the home players fell apart thereafter.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Maughan grabbed a well-deserved double in the space of 90 seconds, yet he was aided by a strange refereeing decision that involved showing Ross Cunningham a straight red card for deliberate hand-ball outside the box.

However, Maughan did not complain as he planted the resulting free kick into the United net before pouncing on a bouncing ball to head home goal number six.

Everybody connected with St Andrews United was desperate to hear the final whistle at that point but there was still time for Mackenzie to cut-in from the left and smash another fierce shot past a despairing Moran.

The final score consequently sent the visitors back over the new Forth Bridge in a jubilant mood, though they were at least made to work hard for all three points.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The result leaves St Andrews United 12th in the East of Scotland League 1st Division Conference A .

Saints now have something of a festive break before league duty resumes again in the new year.

First up for Charlie King’s men will be a home game against Kennoway Star Hearts on January 2.

Related topics:

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.