Tayport 4-2 Penicuik

Alan Tulleth helped Tayport seal a crucial three points.
Alan Tulleth helped Tayport seal a crucial three points.

Tayport come roaring back from two goals down to defeat visiting Penicuik Athletic and post another three Super League points with the win providing a major boost in the bid to beat the drop.

Half an hour into the contest, a victory had seemed unlikely.

Penicuik striker Ryan McCallum’s shot had rattled the crossbar early on with Gavin Sorley getting his finger tips to the ball.

In the eighth minute Cuikie opened the scoring when the ball was deemed to have crossed the line following a corner kick.

Daryl Devlin should have doubled their lead when he burst through, only to chip weakly into Sorley’s arms.

On the half hour, the visitors did score again, courtesy of Aaron Sommerville who was able to find the net with a neat back-heel.

Two behind, ‘Port then began to play.

Danny Cavanagh cut inside and fired in a strike which was deflected for a corner.

In the 36th minute, the Canniepairt outfit grabbed themselves a lifeline when Alan Tulleth expertly turned in Scott Finlay’s cross from the left.

The comeback was very much on and, in the second half, Tayport dominated proceedings. On 70 minutes, Danny Cavanagh won the ball and slipped a pass to Alan Tulleth who showed great composure to beat ‘keeper Bejaoui with a low finish.

Cavanagh then smacked a shot against the bar shortly afterwards, as the home side went in search of a winning goal.

With twelve minutes remaining, ‘Port edged in front.

The influential Alan Tulleth released substitute Matt Adam who touched the ball past the outrushing goalkeeper and managed to find the net from the left side of the box, to loud acclaim from the ‘Port support.

The cheers became even louder in the final minute, when Adam again latched onto a Tulleth pass and sent his finish beyond Bejaoui to seal a crucial win.

Tayport - Sorley, Ogg, Robertson, Kay, Anderson, Elvin, Rollo, Finlay, Reid (Adam), Tulleth, Cavanagh.