Tayport give themselves some hope

Grant Lawson scores his and Tayport's second. Picture by Ron Nicoll.
Grant Lawson scores his and Tayport's second. Picture by Ron Nicoll.
Share this article

Tayport scored twice in the opening few minutes to set up a crucial 2-0 Super League win against Ballingry Rovers on the Canniepairt.

It was only Tayport’s second league victory of the season and, while relegation remains the most likely outcome, the win provides a glimmer of hope.

Skipper Grant Lawson was the ’Port hero, notching both of the early goals.

With less than two minutes on the clock, hesitancy in the Rovers defence enabled Lawson to net the opener when he stretched out a boot and lofted the ball over ‘keeper Kyle Allison.

By the fourth minute the Canniepairt outfit had doubled their advantage.

A cross from the right reached Lawson, whose header was spilled by the goalkeeper.

The Tayport captain reacted smartly to lash the loose ball into the back of the net.

At the other end Sam Morris made one save with his legs, but, other than that half-chance, Ballingry were kept at bay.

Opportunities were few and far between for much of the contest, although Tayport did cause the visitors a few problems during the closing stages as Ballingry pushed men forward.

On 72 minutes Grant Lawson delivered a fine corner kick but Ruaridh Donaldson missed out on a header from a central position.

Lawson then tried his luck with a left-footed volley after flicking the ball away from his marker.

The Tayport star also tested the ‘keeper after cutting inside from the right, but Allison was equal to the shot.

Late on Lawson led a break upfield but his pass was too heavy for Matty Adam.

When Adam later raced away from the defence, he was brought down, giving his team a free kick. From the set-piece, Ruaridh Donaldson powered in a left-footed strike, but Allison saved.

Tayport - Morris, Thomson, Donaldson, Allan, Tonner, Robertson(McCulley), Rollo, Grant, Adam, Lawson, McPhee(Connelly).