Tayport go nap in final fixture of season

Roberto Morris, Tayport FC.
Roberto Morris, Tayport FC.


TAYPORT played their final fixture of the 2011-12 season when they hosted relegated Arniston Rangers in an East Premier League encounter last Saturday.

’Port finished with a flourish, with five different goalscorers on the mark, in a comprehensive victory.

The Gorebridge outfit actually opened the scoring on the quarter-hour mark, when Steven McCormack was on hand to fire home the rebound after a shot had rattled against the post.

Tayport equalised shortly afterwards, when Paul Tosh expertly controlled a long ball into the area and clinically thumped home from around 12 yards out midway through the half.

Ten minutes later, ’Port took the lead.

A forceful run from Stefan Elvin led to the midfielder firing a shot against the post, and Mark Whatley was there to net his first goal of the season, on his return to competitive action following a lengthy injury lay-off.

The next incident of the match left Tayport with just 10 men.

Skipper Roberto Morris needlessly became embroiled in a tangle with Arniston’s McCormack and was shown his third red card in 12 games.

Before Arniston could capitalise on their numerical advantage, the home side increased their advantage.

Mark Whatley delivered a corner kick and centre-half Pete McAvoy rose to power home a header, for his first goal in Tayport colours.

Those two players were involved in the next counter on the hour.

After Tayport cleared an Arniston corner, McAvoy broke upfield and played the ball into the path of Whatley.

Having advanced into the opposition’s box, Whatley squared for McAvoy, whose shot was blocked.

The ball eventually broke for Stefan Elvin and he hammered in his side’s fourth goal of the afternoon.

The Canniepairt outfit went nap with 15 minutes remaining.

Simon Murray added his name to the scoresheet with another fine individual goal.

The young striker’s quick feet enabled him to waltz into the area and send his shot beyond keeper Rochowski for his ninth goal in 11 appearances.

So, a positive result to end the campaign, but the club fell short in its aim of returning to the Super League.

There have, however, been encouraging signs of late.

For example, Tayport have scored 24 goals in their last nine league matches, having averaged only one goal per game for the first 13 fixtures.

Let’s hope that the recent form continues into the next campaign.

Tayport: Ross, Milligan, Robertson, Morris, McAvoy, Donachie, Whatley (Anton), Elvin, Murray, Tosh (Kenneth), Mackie (Wemyss).

Arniston: Rochowski, Cherrie, Smith, Moriarty, Nisbet (Jones), Kerr, Pontin (Honjigawa), Garden, Leishman, McCormack, Sommerville.