Ten man Raith Rovers lose at home to Inverness

Raith Rovers lost 1-0 to Inverness after an early red card for defender Iain Davidson.

Tuesday, 16th March 2021, 9:56 pm
Kai Kennedy on the ball against Inverness (Pic: Fife Photo Agency)

A second half goal by Dan MacKay was the difference between the sides after the veteran defender was red carded for an elbow after just 10 minutes.

Raith boss John McGlynn made four changes to the side that drew 0-0 at Inverness – Frankie Musonda, Adam King, Dylan Tait and Jamie Gullan were replaced by Iain Davidson, Brad Spencer, Ross Matthews and Dan Armstrong.

But the manager had to rip up his game plan after ‘Davo’s’ moment of madness.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He challenged Caley forward Nikolay Todorov near the halfway line but swung an elbow. Todorov was floored and referee Colin Steven had no option but to flash the red card.

The 37-year-old has been excellent when called upon this season, but on this occasion he badly let his team mates down.

McGlynn immediately withdrew Armstrong for defender Musonda as Rovers looked to stay in the game against their opponents who had started the game brightly, Scott Allardice having hit the bar with a header after just three minutes.

To their credit Rovers gave as good as they got for the remainder of the first half, restricting the 11 men to just one chance.

MacKay got the better of Regan Tumilty as he cut in from the left but keeper Jamie MacDonald pulled off a good save from his resultant shot.

Into the second half and Rovers came close to scoring – only to find themselves a goal behind sixty seconds later.

On 46 minutes Regan Hendry hit a great shot from around 25 yards which Mark Ridgers tipped over his bar.

The Caley keeper grabbed the resultant corner, launched it forward and MacKay had the simple task of lobbing it over MacDonald who maybe should have stayed on his line.

The winger had a chance to double the lead on 53 minutes but his shot was weak and MacDonald saved.

Rovers kept battling though and had chances to score, both Kyle Benedictus and Musonda went close with headers within two minutes of each other as the home side pressed for an equaliser.

On 68 minutes a fizzing free kick from substitute Jamie Gullan just cleared the Caley bar before a Sean Welsh shot at the other end did the same four minutes later.

Inverness went close again when Robbie Deas stretched and lobbed the ball narrowly wide, then with just six minutes left Rovers sub Lewis Vaughan forced Ridgers into a good save with a shot from the edge of the box.

It was the last chance for either side, Caley hung on for the three points and Rovers long 21-year wait for a league win over the Highlanders continues.