Unbeaten start to the season for Glens

Scarborough scores against Arniston
Scarborough scores against Arniston
Share this article

Glenrothes Juniors remain unbeaten after their opening two games of the season in the McBookie.com East Premier League.

The Glens faced a tough away trip to Oakley for their opening game and came away with all three points.

They started the game with six new players in their line up and could have taken the lead in the first minute when a effort from John Martin was saved by the keeper and fell to Chas Scarborough but again the keeper made the save. Glenrothes continued to dominate the first fifteen minutes and deservedly took the lead when Scarborough shot home.

Just when it seemed Glens would take a lead into the interval they were struck a double blow. Firstly a free kick landed at the feet of Oakley’s number four for him to shoot past Chrissy Gay and less than a minute later the home side’s number 10 broke clear from a suspiciously offside position to run on and score.

Into the second half Glenrothes started to dominate the game and on seventy six minutes got the equaliser they deserved when Martin beat the keeper to a long ball and shot into the empty net.

Ten minutes later and Glens got the winner when Martin raced past the defence and shot home for what proved to be a very good win at a very hard ground to pick up points.

For their first league match at Warout Stadium Glenrothes welcomed Arniston Rangers. Before the kick off there was a minute’s silence in memory of the late Rab Mitchell and Jimmy Ferguson.

It didn’t take long for Glens to take the lead. On just eleven minutes an excellent through ball by J Gay found Scarborough who finished well.

A minute later the Glens defence were caught out at a free kick with Kateleza shooting wide, whilst at the other end a chance fell to Griffin but his effort was saved.

Glens were conceding too many fouls in dangerous positions, but were still creating chances - a long range shot from Griffin was saved by Cornet, then a header by Greirson slipped by the post. J Gay broke clear but yet again Cornet came to the rescue.

Into the second half and Arniston grabbed an equaliser. In the fifty fourth minute a defensive error fell at the feet of Thomson who shot into the top corner.

The away side were now throwing everything they had at the Glens as a long range shot from Bauld went well over the bar.

In reply an excellent run and cross from Martin was saved by Cornet but shortly after a mistake in the Glens defence could have proved costly but was eventually saved by Gay.

The game fizzled out into a draw with a shot from Bissett sailing over the bar, and from a corner Griffin shot wide.