Walas return inspire the Fifers to fine Colts win

Nicholson scoring the third goal for East Fife
Nicholson scoring the third goal for East Fife

East Fife.................................3

Cumbernauld Colts...............0

East Fife welcomed Cumbernauld Colts to Leven on Sunday in their League Cup tie second round fixture.

Fife were at full strength with Walas back in the Fife goal after her absence last week in Aberdeen.

And their strength showed throughout with the Fifers largely on top across the 90 minutes of the match.

Walas in particular was a standout, helping her side to a crucial clean sheet.

The home side started the brighter of the two teams and were ahead in the seventh minute through a Dickson header.

After good play through Skivington, Fife were awarded a corner.

Graham swung the ball in, and Dickson rose wonderfully to put an unstoppable header in to the top right hand corner of the net.

But the goal didn’t settle the Fifers and the visitors showed they could still pose a threat.

Cumbernauld almost levelled on 15 minutes when a ball down the left set the Colts striker through on goal, but her goal bound right footed shot, was expertly tipped round the post by home ‘keeper Walas.

After that scare, Fife went to look for their second and put a stop to any threat of the Cumbernauld comeback.

A fantastic switch of play, sent Guppy through on goal and she was cynically taken out by a defender.

Despite it being a last man tackle, the defender stayed on the pitch.

Put Colts weren’t to be left off for a second time and Clark shot high in to the net, from the resulting free kick, from 25 yards out.

‘Keeper Walas wasn’t quite a lonley figure and made another outstanding save just before half time, again from close range and ensured the game remained 2-0 to Fife at half time.

Cumbernauld looked to get back in to the game from the off and had two good chances, again pulling saves from player of the match, Walas.

Anderson had an opportunity to put the game to bed, with a header from a Graham free kick, but headed over. The second half saw few opportunities but Fife did go three ahead through Nicholson.

Skivington set Nicholson through on goal and she showed great composure in shooting neatly over the head of the outrushing keeper to wrap up a deserved win for the Fifers.

The 17s were ver unfortunate to go down 3-2 in their tie against Jeanfield with goals from N. Peggie and Brown, and the reserves fought back from 2-0 down to win 4-3 away to Ayr United in their league cup tie, with goals from MacKenzie, Kemp and McAdam (2).

East Fife are back in league action next week away to Stonehaven.