You did us all proud

Leven's players are all smiles after getting themselves level. Picture by Alan Watson.Leven's players are all smiles after getting themselves level. Picture by Alan Watson.
Leven's players are all smiles after getting themselves level. Picture by Alan Watson.
After eight games, two penalty shoot outs and an extra time semi final win, Leven United found Colville Park simply a bridge too far.

The Levenmouth club did themselves and the community proud by reaching the final of the Innovatus Sports Scottish Amateur Cup Final but were unable to return to the area with silverware.

Just 24 hours after Hibs had made history at Hampden Park, Leven arrived at the National Stadium bidding to become just the third Fife club to win the historic competition first picked up by John Neilson FPAFC in 1909/10.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

They were cheered on by hundreds in the stands who had travelled through from the Kingdom and out sang their Motherwell counterparts throughout.

But Colville, perennial semi finalists and finalists of the national competition, boasted several players with recent experience at senior level and on the day were worth their win.

Had Michael Kennedy’s side been three or four goals up at the break there could have been little complaint.

They settled into their famous surroundings with ease and kept Leven on the back foot.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Leven almost gave themselves a mountain to climb as early as the first minute when gifting Colville the chance to break the deadlock.

A deep cross found Kevin Fotheringham six yards from goal but he couldn’t find a way past Jason Curran.

But a breakthrough wasn’t long in coming.

Colville took the lead in spectacular fashion when former Queen’s Park winger Fotheringham’s slide pass along the edge of the box was smashed in off the underside of the bar by Liam Cusack.

Thomas Airlie was next to go close for Colville with a volley which flashed inches wide of Curran’s post.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

For all their dominance Colville were unable to stretch further clear of a Leven side determined to weather the storm.

Their doggedness kept them in the game, and their best chance of the half came on the stroke of half time.

The Colville defence were unable to clear their lines and the ball broke to Kristofer Murray eight yards from goal.

The Leven midfielder couldn’t get a clean connection on his strike and Donald Scott gathered.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Leven managed to get in at the break one goal down and came out in the second 45 knowing they needed to improve to stand any chance of lifting the trophy.

They did just that, looking a completely different side from the one which had gone in at the interval.

A big appeal for a penalty was waved away when Willie Herd looked to be hauled back inside the box.

An equaliser was coming, and it arrived on 57 minutes when Jaimie Murrie nodded home Craig Smith’s corner.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Dougie Herd’s side had their tails up and looked to more likely to net again with Colville rattled.

But the game took a cruel twist for the Levenmouth side when they again slipped behind.

It was Fotheringham who did the damage once more with a sublime cross which sub David McKay finished off.

With seconds left tempers began to flare and Leven’s Ross Smith was sent off.

The dream had ended.

Related topics: