Glenrothes Rugby outplayed as winning run hits an abrupt end in Aberdeen

Michael Delorey Glenrothes Rugby
Michael Delorey Glenrothes Rugby

Gordonians 37, Glenrothes Rugby 7

Glenrothes’ six game winning start to the season ground to a halt in Aberdeen on Saturday where a strong Gordonians team ousted the Carleton Park men from the top of the table.

The home team outplayed the Glens in every aspect of the game and adapted to the referee’s interpretation of the laws of the game at the breakdown rather more successfully than the visitors.

Glenrothes got off to the worst possible start when centre Corey Buchan burst through a leaden footed defence to score under the posts inside the first two minutes. Mark Marchbank converted the try, the only successful kick he would make all afternoon.

Gordonians second try came after Glenrothes conceded two penalties in quick succession.

The second of these was put into touch near the 22m line and from the lineout the homesters drove towards the Glenrothes goal line. Three times thrusts were blunted but eventually the ball was picked up at the back of the ruck and Richard Murdoch dived over in the right corner.

A third try was not long delayed as thin Glens’ defence was exposed by home full back, Eric Edgar, who made a timely, and pacy, intrusion into the line, rounded his opposite number and scored in the corner.

Referee Kenny awarded a penalty against Daryl Warrender for pulling down a maul close to the line following a Gordonians lineout. The Glens number 8 was also yellow carded and shortly afterwards Daryl Morrow was touched down to the right of the posts to ensure a try scoring bonus for the home team.

Glenrothes ended the half pointless and coach Tom Hainey did not mince his words at half time, but the second half was almost as unsuccessful as the first.

Careless recycling by Glenrothes led to the fifth try of the afternoon as Buchan evaded a number of would be tacklers to grab his second score.

The sixth try followed shortly afterwards when Glenrothes knocked the ball on and the homesters took advantage moving the ball to winger, Graeme Imrie, who wrong-footed Sean Gray to sprint clear and touch down midway between left corner and goal post.

Richie Thomson replaced Liam Fowlis and lasted about 30 seconds before receiving a yellow card for what the referee saw as a swinging arm.

The home side’s seventh and final saw Sandy Willis pick up a loose ball and touch down.

Michael Delorey grabbed a consolation try following a Gordonians lineout close to their own goal line and Gray added the extra two points near the end of the game. Glenrothes were again on the offensive at the final whistle but worryingly Steven Dick was lying on the deck with what was later diagnosed as a broken ankle which will keep him out of action for some time.

While coach Tom Hainey was unhappy with some aspects of the referee’s play, he did not believe that his side deserved to take anything from the game.

The scrum worked well and the pack disrupted the opposition lineout. Delorey and the back row harassed their opposite numbers on Gordonians scrums but other than these areas, there was little to enthuse the few Glenrothes supporters at Countesswells.

Delorey was deservedly Glenrothes man of the match, though to be honest there were few if any other contenders for this accolade.

Glenrothes: S Gray, R Bryce, A Campbell, S Varney, W Maxwell, S Hainey, M Delorey, L Fowlis, S Dick, S McAlpine, E Arthur, R Hutchison, B Crookston, D Warrender, K Christie. Replacements: R Thomson, S Dean, M Byers, G Emerson.

Next Saturday Hillfoots visit Carleton Park on league duty having gained their first victory against Morgan last weekend. The reds will be hoping that they can rediscover their form from the first six games of the season and bounce back from Saturday’s disappointment. The development squad, having suffered a heavy defeat at Arbroath, travel to Montrose who, like the Glens, are winless so far this season though they have been involved in closer defeats than the reds.