Home teams second best but plenty to admire at Carleton Park

The glorious weather on Saturday was enhanced by some scintillating rugby in two games at Carleton Park.

Monday, 27th March 2017, 4:12 pm
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 8:21 pm
Derek Mitchell refereed the under 18 game before playing and scoring in the senior game.
Derek Mitchell refereed the under 18 game before playing and scoring in the senior game.

Unfortunately in both games the home team came off second best but there was still plenty to admire.

First up were the under 18’s with the young Reds facing Aberdeen Wanderers.

The game certainly lived up to the description of a game of two halves with Wanderers scoring five unanswered tries in the first period for a 0-29 lead.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

After the interval, the teams turned round and so did their fortunes.

Firstly Callum Kennedy who ran in from the half way line. Greig Walkup scored a second when he squeezed over to round off a period of sustained pressure on the Aberdeen line.

The best try of the game was scored by Brandon Mills who showed great speed and balance as he sprinted down the left wing from his own 22m line.

Mills converted his own try as he had the previous two.

When referee, Derek Mitchell, blew the final whistle the Glens were again on the front foot but unable to improve on the 21-29 score line.

After the under 18 game had finished, the Glens second string, known as the Devs, took to the field against a Waid team augmented by guest players from Kirkcaldy and Morgan.

While the youngsters had shared eight tries in their game, the senior contest had the same number in the first half.

Waid took an early lead with two unconverted tries. Glenrothes pegged their visitors back when Kain Duguid outpaced the defence before racing behind the posts. He converted his own try.

Waid went on to increase their lead with a further three tries, again abetted by weak Glenrothes tackling.

The Reds were disappointed but not cowed as Steve Somerville found a huge gap in the defence to touch down behind the posts.

Waid scored a try almost immediately after Somerville’s effort, capitalising on two penalties in quick succession to touch down beside the uprights and give a half-time score of 12-36.

Man of the match Duguid scored two more tries in the second half to complete his hat trick but Glens’ susceptibility to conceding a score immediately after getting one for themselves continued and the gap was maintained.

Ross Hutchison helped himself to a try when he barrelled over the line from close range.

Glenrothes had the satisfaction of recording the final points of an entertaining game when Derek Mitchell, having refereed the Colts’ game, galloped 60m down the right wing and scored behind the posts.

Ross Anderson drop kicked a conversion to close the score at 38-55.