Howe grind out win over Aberdeen

Led by No 8 Chris Mason, Howe start another assault on the Aberdeen defence. Picture by Roy Macintyre.
Led by No 8 Chris Mason, Howe start another assault on the Aberdeen defence. Picture by Roy Macintyre.

Howe of Fife.........................18

Aberdeen GSH.....................10

At Duffus Park, Saturday. Although not at their best, Howe managed to eke out a win after a hard fought 80 minutes.

In cloudy, windless conditions, Howe had most of the first half territory and possession, but the visitors defended well and Howe had to rely on the boot of Angus Guthrie to give them a narrow lead at the interval

He opened the scoring in three minutes with a kick of 25 yards after someone strayed offside, and doubled Howe’s lead in 26 minutes with a close range kick for driving into a ruck from the side.

Alex Hagart, the Aberdeen stand off, counted with a kick of 30 yards after 29 minutes, but missed a longer offering just before half time so that Howe came to the interval guarding a 6-3 lead.

Howe had to put on a replacement early in the second period when Dylon Groat, the big second row, had to go off injured.

Brodie Runciman moved up from the back row into the second row while Calum Harris came out at wing forward.

Howe took a lineout about 15 yards out on the left and drove it to the line and over for a try touched down by Harris. Guthrie added the conversion points from a wide angle.

Ten minutes later Howe turned over Aberdeen in midfield, Chris Mason making ground and then Guthrie broke away towards the Aberdeen 25, with Murray Calcutt on the right wing outside him.

The pass was made and Calcutt ran over out on the right for another try, which Guthrie failed to convert.

Aberdeen were still full of life and with eight minutes to play they produced a good move which ended with Ali Mackie, a big wing forward who had proved very difficult to stop, breaking away to score near the posts, and Hagart converted to make the score 18-10. But that was as near as the visitors came as Howe threw on their remaining replacements and made sure that there would be no further breakthroughs.