Howe show no mercy in ruthless display

Howe captain Stewart Lathangie clears the ball away from a ruck. Picture by Roy Macintyre.
Howe captain Stewart Lathangie clears the ball away from a ruck. Picture by Roy Macintyre.

Howe of Fife.........................52


Howerecorded an excellent win over one of the better sides in National League Division One, scoring eight tries in the process.

It didn’t look like that sort of scoreline would occur as the visitors had the better of the early play, and their scrum half Murray Houston kicked a long penalty after five minutes to put them ahead.

Howe got their high-speed game going and after a move involving most of the players Terry Turpie was on hand to dive for a try, his 100th in 244 appearances.

Angus Guthrie missed the conversion but Howe then turned over possession in midfield and Fraser Clark made a break for Graham Thomson to roar in from 40 yards out, Guthrie converting.

A third Howe try came after 25 minutes when Clark made another break and returned to Mason who made it all the way along the right touchline to score at the corner, Guthrie supplying an excellent conversion for 19-3.

Howe claimed a bonus point after apassage of play ended with James Lawrie driving over from a ruck near the line, and Guthrie landed another conversion.

Midway through the second half GHA cut the deficit when James Edgar shot away to score between the posts, Houston converting.

The last 15 minutes belonged to Howe, and Michael Fedo set up a second try for Mason, converted by Guthrie.

Almost from the restart a disastrous dropped ball in midfield led to the Howe backs repossessing for Guthrie to round off at the right corner, and then converting his own try.

Fedo scored from his own lineout peel.

Scoring was completed when Graeme Steedman did a dummy before running over for the eighth Howe try which Guthrie converted to give him 17 points for his day out.

A great day for Howe, who have a home match against Greenock in the cup tommorrow (Saturday).