Disappointing night as Flyers shut-out in Manchester

Manchester hit the net against Fife. Pic: Manchester Storm
Manchester hit the net against Fife. Pic: Manchester Storm

Flyers travelled to Manchester on Sunday hoping to increase their mini winning run to three games with a win over the Storm in a vital conference game.

The visitors were without Ric Jackman who picked up an injury the previous night in the win against Coventry and long term absentee Shayne Stockton whilst the Storm were missing Eric Neilson and Patrik Valcak.

Storm began the game on the front foot and put Flyers under pressure right from the first whistle and although they had a lot of puck possession in Flyers defensive zone the visitors were disciplined to prevent any clear cut chances but also didn't really have any pressure in the Storm defensive zone.

The longer the first period went the more confident the Storm became, they were winning battles along the boards in the Flyers zone and were getting out of their own zone and through the neutral zone with ease and the play was constantly in front of Shane Owen.

It therefore came as no surprise when the home side opened the scoring in the 12th minute when an attempted wrap around by Mario Trabucco rebounded to Connor Varley and he had the whole of the net to put the puck into as Owen had over committed.

This was how the first period would finish with Flyers trailing by one and the shots on goal showed how dominant Storm were at 18-7.

Flyers came more into the game in the second but Storm increased their lead when a Matt Bissonette shot was well saved by Owen but rebounded straight to Pacha who first timed into the empty net at 27.35.

From then Flyers were chasing the game and it turned out to be one of those games that whatever they did it just didn't work out.

There was a shot form Turon in the second that looked like it went in but got waved off, Dingle in the third did find the net only for it to be ruled out on a very, very late offside whistle.

Fox was set up for a one timer with a gaping net only for his stick to explode, Wands set up Brooks again with an open net only for the puck to bobble and Haines mistimed a shot on the blue line that allowed Darian Dziurzynski to fire into the empty Fife goal at 58.04 to seal the win.

Disappointing would be the word to sum this up as it was a game Flyers should have been looking to win and once again the PP failed to click as Flyers went 0 for 6.

Clemente got MoM for Storm but didn't have to work too hard for the shut out and Owen was named star man for Flyers.