Flyers coach hails character win over Caps

Ryan Dingle finds his path to goal blocked by Caps netminder Carson Chubak. Pic: Steve Gunn
Ryan Dingle finds his path to goal blocked by Caps netminder Carson Chubak. Pic: Steve Gunn

Fife Flyers 5 Edinburgh Capitals 2

Fife Flyers coach Todd Dutiaume said his players displayed character as they recovered from a bad start to inflict a second successive defeat on Edinburgh Capitals last night.

Flyers trailed 2-0 inside seven minutes as they left themselves exposed in defence, but the hosts response was impressive as they slammed five unanswered goals past the visitors for a 5-2 victory.

“It wasn’t our greatest start, a couple of individual errors cost us those two goals,” Dutiaume said.

“We were pushing at times and made a few uncharacteristic mistakes.

“Matt Delahey kept us close by getting his first goal of the year, and we really kept our foot on the door to make the game ours.

“It was a great character win. Falling behind like that, teams in the past might have decided it wasn’t going to be our night.

“It’s another night with five different goalscorers, and two points in Challenge Cup which is great.”

Flyers started with purpose, pinning Caps inside their own zone, put the visitors turned defence into attack with impressive speed to take the lead on 4.50.

Away netminder Carsen Chubak foiled Ryan Dingle on a breakaway and Caps quickly moved the puck to the other end where Flyers found themselves short of cover as Everett Sheen scored unmarked at the back post.

Flyers conceded a carbon copy two minutes later as another attack broke down, and with cover in defence non-existent, David Rutherford fired the Caps two in front.

Crucially, Fife hauled themselves back into the game within a minute as defenceman Matt Delahey made the most of the space afforded to him in the Caps zone to pick his spot high past Chubak.

Flyers were persistent in their pursuit of an equaliser but they had to wait until 33.06, and it took a wonderful solo effort from Danny Stewart, who weaved his way from zone to zone before sending a shot through traffic that left Chubak unsighted.

Flyers kept up the pressure and they completed the turnaround on 33.06 as Jeff Lee pounced on a rebound to put the home side ahead for the first time in the game.

It was at this stage that the visitors started to become more physical and referee Steve Brown struggled to keep a grip on proceedings with too many indiscretions allowed to go unpunished.

In the end though, Caps indiscipline caught up with them as Flyers opened up a 4-2 lead on a five-on-three powerplay - Paddy Cullen cracking home a shot from the right wing at 47.18.

And Fife wrapped things up with another powerplay effort on 57.33 as Nic Rioux found the net from the point.

They made things difficult for themselves, but Flyers put in the hard graft required to retrieve the game.

The Kirkcaldy side are taking the long bus trip to Wales today where they will face Cardiff Devils in an Elite League fixture. Face-off is 6.00 p.m.