It’s great to put the kit back on

Jamie Wilson in action against Edinburgh on Sunday. Pic: Steve Gunn
Jamie Wilson in action against Edinburgh on Sunday. Pic: Steve Gunn

Early last week, Jamie Wilson returned to light training after missing a month of ice hockey with concussion.

By Sunday night he was scoring the game winning goal in a crunch conference match against Edinburgh Capitals at Murrayfield.

It was a dream return to action for the Fife Flyers forward, who surprised everyone by making an earlier than expected comeback against Sheffield Steelers on Saturday.

“I spoke with the doctor and the initial goal was to get back for next weekend,” Wilson explained.

“But the way I was progressing I gave Todd a shout on Friday night and told him I was ready to go if he needed me.

“I gave it a shot in the warm-up on Saturday, and I felt fine. I eased into it with a couple of shifts, and just went from there.

“I hadn’t played for four weekends so it got tougher, but I just kept going until I couldn’t go anymore. There was a few penalties in the third period, so our line wasn’t out so much, which I was a wee bit relieved about!

“I felt better on Sunday, and I was delighted to get the goal. It all came from Gunny working hard in corner.

“The puck just bounced out onto my stick and I made the most of my chance.”

Wilson had been out since Flyers’ visit to Coventry on September 15, when a check to the head from Coventry’s Kevin Harvey, who subsequently received a four-game ban, left him with a bad concussion.

“I was just trying to get the puck out the zone, and he caught me with a high hit around the jaw,” Wilson said.

“I saw him coming but when someone takes a run at you like that there’s not much you can do. I wasn’t out cold, I was just dazed for a few seconds, but I felt really unwell after the game, even more so the morning after.”

Wilson’s symptoms even affected his work as a joiner.

“Jobs didn’t get done as quick as they usually do,” he said. “But being self-emplyed I just had to get on with it.

“For the first three weeks I was in a constant daze. It’s hard to describe how it feels - you’re just not really with it and you have good days and bad days.

“I tried the bike in the third week but felt really terrible, really dizzy, and wasn’t aware of surroundings.

“I was definitely not ready so the doctor instructed me to do lighter work, and build up more gradually. Last week I pushed a bit harder because I was determined to play at the weekend. I was happy to get my kit on again.”

Flyers have struggled for wins, and goals, during Wilson’s absence but he hopes Sunday’s win in Edinburgh will be a turning point.

“Everyone knows the team has taken a while to click but hopefully we can move forward from here,” he said.

“Our guys have all proven themselves at a good level in America and Europe, but some players find this league a different style of playing and take a while to adapt. Once they find their feet it will be better for them and the team.”