Kirkcaldy host annual rugby sevens

THE weather gods certainly looked down on Beveridge Park favourably for the first part of Saturday’s annual Kirkcaldy Rugby Club Sevens tournament for the Heggie Cup.

The opening ties were played in brilliant sunshine and although the weather became cloudier and colder as the event reached its climax, it did not cool the enthusiasm of the players and spectators.

1613012 SSFF rugby 7s 'action from the Rugby 7s tournament at Kirkcaldy Rugby Club at the Beveridge Park, Kirkcaldy

1613012 SSFF rugby 7s 'action from the Rugby 7s tournament at Kirkcaldy Rugby Club at the Beveridge Park, Kirkcaldy

The tournament consisted of two leagues of four teams, with the top two from each league progressing to the semi-finals. Unfortunately Madras College FP from St Andrews called off and Kirkcaldy arranged a second string side, the Kirkcaldy Wolverines, to take their place.

League one consisted of Perthshire, Kirkcaldy 1st VII, Haddington and Kirkcaldy Wolverines, while league 2 two contained Kirkcaldy U19’s, Lasswade, Murrayfield Wanderers and Hamilton.

The results of the first round of matches in League 1 were as follows: Perthshire 24, Kirkcaldy 1st VII 17; Kirkcaldy Wolverines 10, Haddington 43; Perthshire 36, Kirkcaldy Wolverines 12; Haddington 17, Kirkcaldy 1st VII 22; Perthshire 47, Haddington 14; Kirkcaldy 1st VII 39, Kirkcaldy Wolverines 14.

From these results Perthshire and Kirkcaldy 1st VII went through to the semi finals although Haddington only lost out by two tries.

Kirkcaldy Wolverines competed well against better teams and indeed the biggest cheers were for the two tries they scored against Kirkcaldy 1st VII.

The results of the first round of matches in league two were as follows: Hamilton 33, Kirkcaldy U19s 0; Murrayfield Wanderers 32, Kirkcaldy U19s 14; Kirkcaldy U19s 18, Lasswade 38; Hamilton 17, Murrayfield Wanderers 21; Murrayfield Wanderers 34, Lasswade 14; Lasswade 28, Hamilton 19.

Murrayfield Wanderers and Lasswade progressed to the semi finals.

From a Kirkcaldy point of view the U19s gained valuable experience playing against senior players and gave a good account of themselves, which gives encouragement for future seasons.

In the first semi-final Perthshire beat Lasswade by 24-14 in an engrossing match which could have gone either way until the last few minutes when Perthshire’s better sevens technique won the day.

In the second semi final Murrayfield Wanderers showed their superior sevens knowledge to beat a young and inexperienced Kirkcaldy side by 25-7.

The final looked liked it could be a close run affair between Perthshire and Murrayfield Wanderers, both of whom looked the best two sides in the tournament. Murrayfield, however, kept their best for last as they raced into a 24-0 lead in the first half.

Perthshire came back to 24-12 but another try and conversion from Murrayfield made the final score 31-12 and put their name on the Heggie Cup for the first time.

President Derek Harper presented the trophy and winners medals to the winning Wanderers team along with the runners-up medals to Perthshire.

A special mention must be made of the referees Tom Coutts, Ronnie Innes, Alan Cambell and David Angus for the quality of refereeing on display.

Thanks also to John Dewar for getting the teams there, to Stuart Cameron for organising the Wolverines, to Heather Bonner for organising the food for the players and referees, to Don Burns for the referees and to Jimmy Bonner and Derek Harper for the burger tent.