Madras 27-29 Waid

The afternoon swung back and forward, but in the end it was a Waid win. (stock image)
The afternoon swung back and forward, but in the end it was a Waid win. (stock image)



Waid Academy FP RFC made the short trip to St Andrews to seek a fifth win in a row this season and to recover the David Joy Vase which is played for annually between the clubs.

The mostly-young team of Waid players took to the pitch eager to entertain the crowd and did not disappoint.

A neat kick by Dylan Muir swung the play in the other direction and the Madras winger was overcome with aggressive play by captain Alan Drysdale and others, allowing Dylan Muir to get the ball again and score.

Madras did not lie down however and they scored twice to first level the scores and then to take the lead.

Their lead was short lived as Waid hit back with Muir to score again and level the match at 12 all.

Waid hit a sizeable number of unhelpful refereeing decisions, claiming the referee missed several late tackles on the Muir and the centre pairing of Drysdale and MacIver.

Madras took advantage of such a late tackle on Muir to recover the lead.

The second half started with the same pace as the first and Waid showed their determination to win when Alan Drysdale forced his way through the Madras tackles and then Muir showed a lovely touch with a deft kick through the onrushing backs for Robbie Allen to touch down.

The lead went back to Madras as the match drew towards an end but the Waid players showed great levels of determination at all breakdowns and set pieces.

Eventually that pressure told, and Waid forced a penalty close to the Madras line.

As Madras turned away to retreat, Waid hooker Andrew Marley took advantage of their lack of attention and forced his way through the defenders to score and level the match.

All now turned on the conversion which Dylan Muir calmly took and - despite having had a prior attempt charged down – slotted over to win the match. With little time remaining the Waid forwards took control of the ball and safeguarded it until the 80 minutes were up and the ball was kicked dead to take the trophy, the league points and a try-bonus point as well.

Waid try scorers on the day were – Dylan Muir (2), Alan Drysdale, Robbie Allen and Andrew Marley.

Conversions - Muir (2).

Next up for Waid is a tie with Aberfeldy at home on September 30.