Five-star Kennoway coast home

Kennoway captain Lee Bremner makes a clean save from a St Andrews corner kick. Pic: Voodoo Kitten Design and Photography
Kennoway captain Lee Bremner makes a clean save from a St Andrews corner kick. Pic: Voodoo Kitten Design and Photography

KENNOWAY travelled to the home of golf still undefeated in league action and on the back of a 5-0 victory over Methilhill Strollers during the week.

It was always going to be a tough game for St Andrews, even with home advantage, and Kennoway started at a frenetic pace.

Gary Ramsay raced past the seemingly static defence to take the ball around the keeper and calmly slot home for Kennoway within three minutes of kick-off.

Things did not improve for the hosts as, less than two minutes later, a clumsy challenge saw the referee award a penalty to Kennoway.

The St Andrews keeper did well to save the spot kick but was unable to do anything about Ryan Thomson’s follow-up, which added a second to Kennoway’s tally.

Ryan Thomson soon accelerated past the home defence to find himself one on one with the keeper. A heavy challenge brought down the Kennoway player deep inside the St Andrews penalty area but the ricocheting ball fell at the feet of David Thomson, who thundered the ball home for Kennoway’s third of the match – and all inside eight minutes.

A bad day for St Andrews got worse as one of their players was dismissed after a second yellow card for persistent fouling.

By this early stage Kennoway were fully in control and their fourth goal came through Ryan Thomson.

After beating the unorganised St Andrews defence he cut inside across the park and fired the ball hard into the back of the net.

St Andrews started the second half much more positively and came out to make a game of it, even managing to beat the Kennoway defence and try for goal on a few occasions.

To their credit, they did find the net with a well-worked attack, getting past the visitors’ defence and putting the ball beyond stand-in Kennoway keeper Lee Bremner.

A second St Andrews player was red-carded for dissent before Gary Ramsay again broke through the hosts’ defence, but was denied by an excellent save by the St Andrews keeper.

Ryan Thomson, however, was on hand to snap up the loose ball and put it into the net for Kennoways fifth goal of the day, and his third.

Despite Kennoway pressing to add to their haul of goals for the day the match finished 5-1 in the visitors’ favour and put them three points closer to securing the league title.