Kennoway struggle to emerge from the gloom

Fog before the match
Fog before the match

DYSART played host to a Kennoway side unbeaten in league action, in a clash that was always going to be a tough game for both sides.

The match was nearly over before it had begun, however. Owing to the intermittent dense fog, the referee left it until very late before ruling the game could go ahead.

The Kennoway side took to the pitch wearing black armbands and, before the start of the match, both sides stood around the centre circle to observe a minute’s silence in memory of Jeek (Jack) Braithwaite. As the referee called the minute up, both teams, and fans from both sides, joined in a round of applause.

Only minutes into the match, however, it could have been all over.

After numerous protests, the referee suspended play and called the team managers on to the pitch to hear their views on whether the game should be abandoned or allowed to continue.

The fog was so dense at this point that, from the centre spot, the goals at each end could barely be seen through the gloom.

Play soon resumed, though, and Dysart set out to disrupt Kennoway, who never really settled.

Disaster struck for the visitors when Dysart broke down the left hand side past the Kennoway defence – somewhere in the gloom, a long ball was played in towards the Kennoway goal.

The ‘keeper was helpless to react as he saw the ball too late, and it landed in the back of the net.

As the second half started, there was more urgency about Kennoway’s play, as they started to push the Dysart defence more and more.

After creating a few good chances, Kennoway were aggrieved to have a Ryan Thomson goal disallowed when, through the fog, the referee judged the Kennoway player was a little too robust in fending off the Dysart defender’s challenge before putting the ball past the ‘keeper.

It was disappointing for the Kennoway faithful but it seemed to spur the players on even more and it wasn’t long before the inevitable happened.

Team captain Paul MacBride got on the end of a cross and put the ball in the top corner of the Dysart net.

Kennoway pushed for a winner in the last five minutes but were unsuccessful.

In the end, they were held to a draw by a well-playing Dysart side who took advantage of the appalling weather conditions.