Kennoway through at second attempt

editorial image

Kennoway AFC.......................2


KENNOWAY entertained Sandys at Cotlands Park on Saturday in a Scottish Cup third round replay.

The teams were very closely matched in the previous encounter and, with six goals scored between them, an exciting game was anticipated by the large crowd of fans that turned out to support Kennoway.

The match got off to an electrifying start which found Kennoway going a goal down to the Edinburgh side, owing to some slack defending.

Sandy’s continued to press for a second until Kennoway, who had looked a bit nervous in the early stages of the game, found their stride and started pushing into the opposition half.

After coming close, the Kennoway pressure paid off as the Levenmouth side grabbed the equaliser to bring them back into the tie.

Ryan Thomson was the man who knocked the ball into the back of the net, much to the delight of the large home support.

Kennoway continued to press looking to get in front in the tie and quickly scored a second, which turned out to be the decisive goal, through a beautifully struck volley from Jamie Armitt.

Sandys responded and pushed hard to get back into the game but Kennoway held on until half-time when both teams went in for a well-earned break.

Kennoway came out much refreshed and started the second half well, thriving on the cheers of support from the large crowd, but were constantly aware of the threat from Sandys, who countered as the game wore on.

At this point, the tie was very evenly matched and played at a frantic pace, with Sandys pushing for an equaliser and Kennoway pushing for another goal to secure the victory.

Both teams came close to scoring but, in the end, neither could get the ball over the line and the second half finished without a goal as Kennoway hung on and progressed to the fourth round of the competition.

Kennoway manager Alex Davidson praised his team’s determination after the game in what he described as a very evenly matched performance by two good sides.

But he singled out the crowd for a special mention.

He said: “Once again, the community did the team proud by turning out to support them in their hundreds, a level of support that many top junior football sides could only dream of.

“We look forward hopefully to bringing another big game to Kennoway in the next round.”