Kennoway win rain-lashed top-table thriller

Kennoway player Gary Davidson, left, puts a tackle in to halt a Pittenweem attack
Kennoway player Gary Davidson, left, puts a tackle in to halt a Pittenweem attack

PITTENWEEM Rovers played host to Kennoway on Saturday in a hastily-arranged top-table clash.

Both teams had their respective planned matches postponed because of the inclement weather and took the opportunity to catch up on league action against each other.

With a number of players missing through injury or suspension, it was always going to be tough afternoon for Kennoway and the weather was not going to make things easier.

The persistent heavy rain failed to dampen the spirits of the teams as they took to the pitch and, if anything, the cold, wet conditions spurred the players on to push harder.

The elements were challenging, to say the least, and both teams pushed and probed the opposition defences, exploiting scrappy play.

Pittenweem grabbed the opening goal with a well-worked move, catching the Kennoway defence unaware.

Kennoway regrouped and immediately went in search of an equaliser.

It wasn’t long before the visitors got on the scoresheet.

Some fast, precise footwork saw David Thomson go past his marker on the wing, cut inside and put the ball past Pittenweem goalkeeper Bowman with a well-taken effort.

The equaliser knocked Pittenweem off their stride as Kennoway battled to control the game and grab another goal.

Some good, solid defence from the hosts, however, kept the visitors at bay until a minute before half-time, when a high looping header from Gary Davidson dipped into the Pittenweem goal to make it 2-1 to the visitors.

As the second half kicked off, Pittenweem seemed to have moved up a gear, despite the weather taking a turn for the worse, and immediately attacked the Kennoway goal.

Rovers were rewarded within two minutes with a superb strike, putting the teams back on to level terms.

Kennoway, however, were not to be denied and soon settled back into their stride, pushing forward and probing the Pittenweem defence with some well-worked moves and exciting play.

The persistent pressure eventually cracked the home side’s defence and, after some pinpoint passing set Ryan Thomson free, he slotted the ball beyond the reach of Bowman and into the back of the net.

The hosts were not going to take defeat easily, though, and reorganised to attack the Kennoway goal.

The visitors’ defence proved too strong and, even when a well-worked move from the hosts beat the Kennoway goalkeeper, an equaliser was denied by the quick reactions of Lee Bremner, clearing the ball from the line.

There were a few more chances for Kennoway before the end, including a spectacular overhead kick effort from Scott Mayne, but the match finished 3-2 to Kennoway, further cementing their position at the top of the league and still unbeaten in league competition this season.

The real winners on such a wet afternoon were the fans from both sides, who turned out in terrible conditions to support the teams in a very entertaining game.

PiCS: rob stewart and Voodoo Kitten Design and Photography