League triumph for ruthless Eastvale

editorial image


Kettle United....................................1

EASTVALE returned to league duty on Saturday after the previous week’s last-gasp win in the Fife Cup.

Kettle United were the visitors and they got off to the worst possible start when McLeod fired a 25-yard shot into the top corner to give ‘Vale the lead, with just three minutes of the game gone.

The remainder of the first half took place in the Kettle half as ‘Vale had almost all the possession, with Kettle forced on to the back foot and defending for their lives.

Good chances were few, though, with John Little lobbing the ‘keeper but missing the target, and Brett Halley forcing the keeper into a low save with a header from a corner, as Eastvale huffed and puffed.

It looked as if Kettle would hang on until half-time but, on 43 minutes, Halley broke into the box and was brought down by the defence.

Little stepped up and sent the ‘keeper the wrong way from the penalty spot.

The second half continued with ‘Vale having the majority of the ball but it took until 65 minutes to get the third goal.

McLeod forced the Kettle rearguard into a mistake, with his presence causing the defence to make a woefully short back pass.

He then managed to intercept the ball and got in front of the visiting ‘keeper, before cutting back to John Westwood, who showed good composure to finish between two defenders on the goal line.

Changes were then made as Eastvale shuffled their pack, with Mike Laing, John Moir and Alan Read introduced for the last 25 minutes of the game.

Moir had a great chance when Darren Riddick cut the ball back, but the ‘keeper made a good block and Read just failed to collect a through ball from Halley before the keeper gathered.

Inside the last five minutes. ‘Vale relaxed and their slackness saw them concede a penalty kick, when an eager Halley brought down a Kettle midfielder.

Seath almost made the save from the spot-kick to ensure a shut-out but the ball nestled into the bottom corner.

This was not the end of the scoring, though.

In injury time, Beaumont sent through Read, who played in Mark Laing to slot past the ‘keeper and make the final score 4-1 to the Levenmouth side, ensuring the points stayed with Eastvale.