Local sides settle for a point each

James Ketchen's shot is stopped by a red-shirted Buckhaven defender.
James Ketchen's shot is stopped by a red-shirted Buckhaven defender.

ROVERS welcomed Buckhaven Town to Pittenweem for a league game, which finished level at 1-1.

The visitors had the first chance after two minutes when they were awarded a free kick 25 yards from goal, but their effort struck the Pittenweem wall.

Rovers’ first real move into the Town half came after five minutes when Marc Cameron was fouled on the left side and the free kick into the box was controlled by Neale Smith, but his shot on the turn was saved.

Pittenweem had another good move up the left on 10 minutes involving Smith and Calum Roberts, with Smith passing to James Ketchen (pictured in black and white) on the edge of the box, but the striker’s shot went wide.

Rovers started the second half with the strong wind slightly in their favour, but it was the Levenmouth side who scored first after five minutes.

A nice pass from midfield split the Pittenweem defence, and the Buckhaven striker ran into the box and clipped the ball over Rovers ‘keeper Robinson for a good finish.

Rovers now looked for the equaliser and they had a couple of long range shots by Marc Cameron and Mike Gardner that were both well held by the ‘keeper.

Pittenweem were pushing hard to get back on level terms, but, despite having some good possession, they were finding it difficult to break down a resolute Buckhaven defence.

With the half just past its midway point, Rovers got the equaliser when Gary Wishart chased a through ball and under pressure from a defender, he managed to flick it past the Buckhaven ‘keeper.

Some good midfield play by Pittenweem ended with a one-two between Gardner and Ketchen, with Gardner shooting wide.

Buckhaven nearly scored when they broke forward and clipped the ball past Guy Robinson in the Pittenweem goal, but the chasing Darren Wilson cleared the ball away.

Saturday’s match ball was sponsored by Pittenweem Fish Bar.