Pittenweem crash 5-2 in the Valley

Action from the Valleyfield v Pittenweem clash.
Action from the Valleyfield v Pittenweem clash.

Rovers made the long trip to Valleyfield for a League game, and they suffered their first defeat of the season.The game started very well for Pittenweem (pictured in black and white) and they went ahead after two minutes when Marc Cameron received a pass from David Young and played it through for Gary Wishart to shoot into the corner of the net from 20 yards.

Valleyfield replied with a good move and a ball through to their striker who was judged to be just offside as he prepared to shoot from inside the box.

As the game progressed, the underfoot conditions were proving to be difficult with the players struggling to keep their feet on the very heavy pitch as it cut up badly.

Rovers grabbed their second goal after 22 minutes when a free kick into the box was controlled by Wishart and he produced a great shot high into the corner.

With 10 minutes of the half remaining Valleyfield moved down the right wing and played a low cross into the box that was fired into the net for their first goal, and in the last minute of the half they scored an equaliser when they broke up the park and shot high into the net from just inside the box.

The home side started the second half on the offensive. They had a shot from just inside the box that was well saved by Wishart in the Rovers goal, and they had another effort soon after from 20 yards that went narrowly wide.

With 65 minutes on the clock Valleyfield got the goal that their second half play deserved when a cross from the right was volleyed into the Rovers net from close range.

Pittenweem had a great chance to equalise with 15 minutes remaining when a cross from Alex Bowman was headed wide from six yards by Darren Davidson.

As the game entered its final stages Pittenweem pushed forward to try and get the goal which would make the scores level only to be sucker-punched twice by Valleyfield who scored on the break late on.