Pittenweem march on in cup contest

editorial image

Newburgh Juveniles.......................2

Pittenweem Rovers..........................5

ROVERS made the trip to Abernethy for this Taylor Sullivan Challenge Cup third-round match.

With 28 minutes on the clock, Pittenweem keeper Garry Bowman collected a cross and immediately despatched a pinpoint kick to Craig Cameron in the Newburgh half.

The striker controlled the ball under pressure and hit a shot across goal, which the keeper did well to turn round the post.

From the resultant corner, Marc Cameron came in at the back post and powered a header into the net to put Rovers one up.

Rovers had further chances when a Gordon Muir pass found Craig Cameron, but his shot was blocked, before a David Wilson strike from 20 yards flew just past. But they were unable to increase their lead before half-time.

However, the visiting support didn’t have long to wait for the second goal and it arrived when Wilson curled a free kick into the box. The Newburgh ‘keeper punched the ball off one of his defenders and into the net.

Rovers striker Muir almost snatched a third goal for the East Neuk side when he rattled the bar with a drive from 20 yards.

With the home side’s first real attack of the half, Bowman dived to his left to save well from a 16-yard strike.

Rovers third, and the best, goal of the game arrived when Neale Smith played the ball back into the path of Marc Cameron and the big defender never broke stride as he unleashed a piledriver into the net from 40 yards.

Pittenweem were now playing some good football and James Gay won two tackles in midfield, before passing inside to Craig Cameron, who set up Wilson to shoot just over from outside the box.

Pittenweem scored their fourth goal after 18 minutes with Cameron stepping up to strike a free kick from 25 yards into the bottom corner of the net.

Newburgh claimed their first goal of the game when the Pittenweem defence failed to clear a free kick and their player shot through a crowd and into the net from 12 yards.

With 10 minutes remaining, Liam Tarvit wrong-footed his opponent on the left edge of the box and squared the ball for Cameron to score his second, and Rovers’ fifth, with a simple finish.

The home side snatched a second goal a few minutes later with a header at the back post.