Pittenweem progress despite early scare

Marc Cameron in orange for Pittenweem.
Marc Cameron in orange for Pittenweem.

ROVERS welcomed Kirkcaldy YM to Pittenweem in the first round of the Peter Omand Cup and duly sent them homeward counting their losses.

On a very cold day, Rovers’ first chance fell to Jimmy Hughes when he collected the ball just inside the box and turned quickly to produce a shot that was saved.

A few minutes later, Neale Smith’s shot from 16 yards was saved by the Kirkcaldy ‘keeper as the visitors struggled to get into the game.

However, on 22 minutes, Kirkcaldy were awarded a penalty when the referee judged a tackle, which looked to be on the edge of the box, was a foul. Rovers ‘keeper Garry Bowman prevented there being any post-match debate, however, by diving to his right to save.

This seemed to spring Rovers into action, though, and they took the lead just two minutes later when Neale Smith took a free kick which was controlled in the box and fired high into the net by Gary Wishart.

Rovers tried to add to their lead as the half continued but they were almost caught out in the last minute, when Kirkcaldy broke through and had a good chance to score. However, Bowman came quickly off his line to save well.

The second half started with another good save by the Rovers ‘keeper when he pushed a shot from the edge of the box past the post. Kirkcaldy were having their best spell of the game by this point and equalised on 51 minutes when a ball over the top was collected by their striker, who ran on to score.

Rovers replied quickly, scoring their second goal just two minutes later, when a good run down the right by Kris Low resulted in a ball to Neale Smith, who produced a cool finish into the bottom corner from 10 yards.

Pittenweem looked to add to their lead straight away and they had two good chances with a James Ketchen shot and Neale Smith header that were both well saved by the Kirkcaldy ‘keeper.

As the second half reached the mid-way point, both teams had an opportunity to score. An attack by Kirkcaldy ended with a shot from 20 yards that Bowman saved, and a good run by Jimmy Hughes ended with a shot from Craig Cameron whic was saved by the Kirkcaldy ‘keeper.

Rovers did manage a third with just over 15 minutes to play when Liam Tarvit received the ball in midfield and passed to Craig Cameron on the edge of the box who turned and shot into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Pittenweem continued to push forward for the remainder of the game and they scored again after 81 minutes, following a good run by Mike Gardner and a pass to James Ketchen, who shot low into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Saturday’s match ball was sponsored by East Fife Joinery.