Pittenweem put four past Bayside

Neale Smith (black and white stripes) of Pittenweem Rovers is held off by a Bayside defender. Pic: Rob Stewart
Neale Smith (black and white stripes) of Pittenweem Rovers is held off by a Bayside defender. Pic: Rob Stewart

ROVERS welcomed Bayside to Pittenweem for a league match and took the points with a decisive second-half scoring spree.

The first half ended scoreless, despite a barrage of well-worked chances for the home side and Bayside struggling to compete.

The first effort for the home side fell to Derek Ireland, whose shot from just inside the box went wide after two minutes.

Rovers were totally dominating possession and, following another good move down the right, Mike Gardner passed the ball to Liam McGhee, who shot into the side net from 15 yards.

Rovers were in complete control and it only seemed like a matter of time before they would go ahead, but a combination of good defending and poor finishing meant the teams went off at half-time with the scoresheet blank.

With two minutes of the second half gone, Rovers finally went in front when David Wilson collected the ball in midfield and unleashed a great shot from 25 yards that flew high into the Bayside net.

The home side looked to add to their lead and they came close just a few minutes later when a cross from the right found James Ketchen, but his shot from eight yards was well saved.

Pittenweem scored again with 12 minutes of the half played when Alex Bowman made a great run down the right and passed the ball inside to James Ketchen, who slipped it through for Derek Ireland, and the striker finished well from just inside the box.

Rovers nearly got another goal when Neale Smith put the ball through for Liam McGhee and he tried to chip the ‘keeper, but it wasn’t high enough and it was saved.

With 68 minutes gone, Bayside had their first real effort of the game when they broke down the right, but the shot from an acute angle went into the side netting.

Pittenweem had a number of opportunities to increase their lead and, with 10 minutes remaining, they went 3-0 up when a shot by Derek Ireland was parried by the ‘keeper and midfielder Liam McGhee was on hand to score from the rebound.

Rovers completed the scoring five minutes from time when Gordon Muir collected the ball just inside the box and rounded the ‘keeper to stroke the ball into the net.

The very last chance of the game fell to Bayside when they had a shot from just outside the box which struck the top of the bar.

Saturday’s match ball was kindly sponsored by Pittenweem Fish Bar.