Pittenweem Rovers 2 - 1 St Andrews Amateurs


Rovers kicked off the new season on the back of last term’s Fife Premier League and mass cup success against St Andrews.

The two were meeting in the league section of the Tom McIntyre Cup - a trophy Pittenweem hold.

Rovers were the first team to threaten with a cross from the left that was headed towards goal by Gordon McGilvary and tipped over the bar by the St Andrews ‘keeper, with the resulting corner cleared.

Both teams were trying to play a passing game in the difficult conditions with quite a strong wind and a number of very heavy rain showers.

St Andrews had their first chance to score when they broke down the right and had a shot which was well saved by Garry Bowman.

Rovers broke quickly from Bowman’s save and the ball was played over the St Andrews defence for Gary Wishart who was through on the ‘Ammies’ ‘keeper.

But the goalie came off his line quickly and saved well from Wishart’s effort.

With 30 minutes played, St Andrews took a corner from the right which was scrambled towards goal but cleared to safety by the Rovers defence.

As the first half entered the last 10 minutes, Pittenweem had a great chance to score when the ball was crossed from the right and it fell to John Calcutt who hit a shot from about 12 yards.

The St Andrews ‘keeper made an incredible save to knock it wide.

Just as the supporters thought the first half would finish goalless Rovers were awarded a corner on the left which Liam Tarvit took, and he curled it straight in at the back post to put Rovers one up at half time.

The second half started with the visitors determined to get back in the game but the Rovers back four were denying them any clear cut chances. With St Andrews pushing hard for the equaliser, it took nearly 20 minutes before Pittenweem had their first chance of this half when good play by Gary Wishart ended with him having a low shot from the edge of the box which was saved.

With around 15 minutes of the second half remaining Rovers were looking to double their lead, but St Andrews won the ball deep in their half and counter attacked quickly down the right hand side.

They played a low cross into the box which was met be their player around eight yards out and he shot home to make the score 1-1.

Pittenweem responded well to losing the goal, and with around eight minutes remaining, the ball was played up the left to Gary Wishart at the edge of the box.

The Rovers striker beat his man, drove into the box and was brought down for a penalty.

Liam Tarvit who scored the first goal direct from the corner came forward to take the spot kick, and he made no mistake by drilling it low into the bottom left corner.

In the last couple of minutes St Andrews had a corner that was headed over the bar, but there were no more chances before the Referee blew his whistle for full time.

Saturday’s match ball was kindly sponsored by East Fife Joinery.