Pittenween crash out of cup after slow start

editorial image
Share this article

TAYLOR Sullivan Cup holders, Pittenweem Rovers, travelled to Windygates to face Greig Park Rangers hopeful of a victory.

However, it was the hosts that progressed to round three after The Rovers gave themselves a mountain to climb in the early exchanges.

Greig Park started strongly and were applying pressure to The Rovers defence from the off which saw Bowman, in the Pittenweem goal, having to react quickly in the seventh minute to gather a header from a long throw.

The home side maintained the early pressure and it paid off when Rovers failed to clear a through ball and Greig Park were quick to capitalise on the error and stroked the ball past the ‘keeper to put the home side one up.

Worse was to come for the visitors when Greig Park doubled their lead three minutes later.

Another great pass from the midfield was threaded through and again the home side striker made no mistake from close range.

Pittenweem were fortunate not to concede again a few minutes later when a shot was fired narrowly over the bar.

Pittenweem’s first real effort on goal came from a Young free kick but his 25 yard effort was wide and didn’t trouble the home keeper.

Greig Park were still carving out chances and Bowman had to turn a 20 yard effort over the bar and make a smart save from the resulting corner when the ball was driven goalward and took a deflection off Low as he attempted to block the shot.

Pittenweem had a great opportunity to reduce the deficit two minutes before half time when Wilson beat the offside trap and raced in on goal and hit a good left foot effort from 18 yards but the advancing ‘keeper got down well and made a great save at a crucial time.

Greig Park had a good effort from the right which came back off the post and Bowman was on hand to block as, again, the home side were quickest to react to the loose ball.

Pittenweem began the second half with a bit more drive in an attempt to rescue the tie and they were rewarded in the when McGhee swept a loose ball home from six yards to make it 2-1.

Greig Park were sitting a little deeper than in the first half but chances for both teams were few and far between.

Pittenweem were still trying for the elusive equaliser and the ‘keeper made another good stop to deny Ketchen’s long range drive.

The best chance of the second half fell to McGhee with five minutes remaining when he found himself on the end of a great cross from the
right but his attempt to steer the ball into the far corner went agonisingly wide.