Red card drama as Pittenweem Rovers triumph

Pittenweem celebrate. ''PIC: Voodoo Kitten Design and Photography
Pittenweem celebrate. ''PIC: Voodoo Kitten Design and Photography

PITTENWEEM Rovers finished their season in style by defeating rivals Kennoway in the final of the Taylor Sullivan Funeral Directors Cup.

After a long, hard-fought season, the silverware was warmly welcomed by Rovers.

For Kennoway however, the result meant the second cup-final disappointment they had suffered within a week.

A very wet Dallas Doyle Park and miserable weather conditions greeted players and fans alike as the teams took to the pitch on Thursday.

Kennoway seemed to have put the previous week’s disappointment firmly behind them, as from the start they attacked the Pittenweem goal.

The rain and slippy surface did not interfere much with some slick passing and progressive attacking play, and Pittenweem were forced into trying to clear their lines and gain possession, rather than mount any worthwhile attacks of their own.

Things could have changed in the 27th minute, though, as, Kennoway’s Jamie Armitt was shown a straight red card for a dangerous two-footed challenge.

What could have been a game-changing moment, in reality, had very little impact upon the flow of the game.

Kennoway were well in control and, despite having a man-over advantage, Pittenweem could not get into the game.

However, as the first half drew to a close Pittenweem started to send the long ball forward and test the Kennoway defence but it stayed 0-0 at the break.

As the second half started, the weather was still atrocious, Kennoway were still attacking and Pittenweem were back to playing a defensive, counter-attacking game.

This didn’t last for long, however, as a Kennoway attack down the wing sent the ball spiralling back into the midfield where it found Ryan Thomson, who unleashed a spectacular 30-yard strike that found the back of the Pittenweem net.

Kennoway were firmly in charge and, despite being a man down, it was starting to look like Pittenweem may crumble under the pressure.

However, after almost 28 minutes of the second half, a misjudged challenge from Kennoway defender Lee Bremner brought to a halt a promising Pittenweem attack.

A red card was shown to the Kennoway player, reducing his team from 10 men to nine.

The Kennoway players and bench were furious and the referee spent the following minutes talking sternly with the players and coaches, as they remonstrated at what they saw as a harsh sending-off for a challenge that was a result of the conditions.

Eventually, play got under way again and Kennoway made changes to defend their lead, but were still attacking.

However, Pittenweem started to use the two-man advantage and, with less than 10 minutes remaining, an attack against the tiring Kennoway defence found Derek Ireland, who slotted the ball into the back of the net to tie the score.

It was all to play for as neither team wanted to go to penalties and Kennoway threw everything at the Pittenweem goal in an attempt to grab the winner

In the end, there were chances for both sides to grab the goal but the match finished 1-1 and headed straight to the dreaded penalty kicks.

Pittenweem won the toss and elected to take the first kick, which was duly dispatched into the Kennoway net.

Kennoway promptly did the same and it seemed that the penalty kicks would follow the same path as the match and be a stalemate.

However, on their second kick, Kennoway captain Paul MacBride hit his shot over the bar and that was the difference.

Penalties finished 5-3 to Pittenweem, although Kennoway could feel unlucky, having shown a great commitment and determination to play as they did, with a two-man disadvantage.