Rovers clinch it in stunning 5-goal second half

Craig Cameron of Pittenweem Rovers (orange) attacks the Balgonie Scotia defence
Craig Cameron of Pittenweem Rovers (orange) attacks the Balgonie Scotia defence

PITTENWEEM travelled to play Division Two front runners Balgonie Scotia in the first round of the Peter Omand League Cup.

Scotia started the game brightly and had a couple of early shots which were saved by Robbie Laing in the Rovers goal.

Pittenweem’s first effort fell to Gary Wishart who collected the ball on the edge of the box and turned quickly, but his shot went past the post.

Rovers were finding it difficult to play their normal passing game with the Scotia players closing them down quickly on the narrow and heavy pitch.

The home side had a good chance to go ahead after 25 minutes when a long ball was controlled by a Scotia forward, but Robbie Laing came quickly off his line to make a good save.

The Rovers back four were being put under pressure by a series of long balls, but the centre pairing of Darren Wilson and David Young were playing well along with full backs Liam Tarvit and Kris Low.

In a first half of very few chances, Rovers had a couple of dangerous crosses from Jimmy Hughes on the right and they could have had a penalty when Craig Cameron was pushed in the box but the referee waived play on, and the half ended with the score 0-0.

The second half started with a Balgonie Scotia goal after two minutes when the ball was cut back from the right and their player produced a good low finish into the corner from 12 yards.

This goal seemed to spark the Rovers players into life and they had three good chances to equalise in the next couple of minutes, one cleared off the line and the other two saved by the Scotia ‘keeper.

With 11 minutes on the clock Pittenweem did score when Jimmy Hughes fired in a great cross from the right and Liam McGhee volleyed the ball into the net from 16 yards.

Rovers now had the upper hand in the game and looked to score again, with James Ketchen coming close with a shot from the edge of the box which was deflected just past.

With 17 minutes played, Rovers did score when Liam Tarvit passed to Craig Cameron and the striker turned to fire the ball into the net from close range. Pittenweem looked to increase their lead with a number of good chances that were all missed and they were made to pay when Scotia were awarded a penalty in one of their rare attacks, and they made no mistake from the spot kick.

However, Rovers went 3-2 up when a good run on the left by Craig Cameron saw him squaring the ball for Liam McGhee to claim his second goal of the game from six yards.

In the last minute of the game, Rovers almost scored again when Alex Bowman put in a good cross which was met by the head of Darren Wilson, but the Scotia ‘keeper managed to save the ball with his feet and the game ended with Pittenweem winning a hard fought game 3-2 and going into the next round.