Rovers’ five-star display downs Town

Craig Cameron held from the ball by a Buckhaven defender
Craig Cameron held from the ball by a Buckhaven defender
Share this article

On Saturday, Rovers travelled the short distance to meet Buckhaven Town in round two of the Fosters Fife Cup – and they produced a good performance to win the match comfortably.

Pittenweem went looking for the first goal and they came close after nine minutes, when a shot from Cameron went very close, before a cross to the back post was volleyed by Liam McGhee, but this was well saved by the Buckhaven ‘keeper.

However, the corner was a short one between John Calcutt and Kris Low, ending with Calcutt firing the ball low into of the net for the first goal.

Rovers produced a good move in midfield with Westwood, Gardner and Smith combining well for Smith to have a shot from outside the box which was saved by the Buckhaven ‘keeper as Pittenweem tried to add to their lead.

The first effort for the home team arrived after 30 minutes, when a shot from outside the box was well saved by Garry Bowman in the Rovers goal.

Rovers then doubled their lead in the 35th minute when Gary Wishart headed home from a corner at the front post, before Neale Smith’s shot made it 3-0 to the visitors at half-time.

The first action of the second half saw a Craig Cameron strike hitting the post as Rovers went close to netting a fourth goal.

The home team had a good shot after 53 minutes from just outside the box, which was well tipped over by Bowman.

With around an hour played, Pittenweem scored again when Calcutt collected the ball on his touchline and fired a great ball to Smith on the edge of the box, who headed the ball into the top corner of the net, giving the home ‘keeper no chance.

Rovers scored the fifth goal 10 minutes later when Calcutt was involved again.

He collected the ball inside his own half and ran right through the centre of the park to chip it over the Buckhaven ‘keeper and into the net from 25 yards.

The home side never gave in and they were rewarded when a shot from the left, with around five minutes remaining, went into the top of the net and the final score was 5-1 to Rovers.

This Saturday, Rovers are at home in the Scottish Cup against a team from Edinburgh – Heriot Vale AFC.

Kick-off will be at 2.00 p.m.