Rovers held at home by Saints

Craig Cameron, in black and white, on the attack for Pittenweem.
Craig Cameron, in black and white, on the attack for Pittenweem.

Pittenweem Rovers.........................2

St Andrews.......................................2

PITTENWEEM played another home league game on Saturday against St Andrews.

The home side took the lead when a good pass from Mike Gardner to Craig Cameron resulted in the striker beating his man and squaring the ball across the box for Liam McGhee to fire into the net from 12 yards.

With their first real attack of the game after 25 minutes, St Andrews scored to make it 1-1 when they were awarded a corner on the right and it was headed home at the front post.

As the half entered the final 10 minutes, Rovers had a couple of chances that were well saved by the St Andrews ‘keeper.

But and in the last minute of the half, they did go ahead when Gardner played another through ball for Cameron and he made no mistake.

The second half began with St Andrews looking to equalise again and they came close after five minutes with a free kick that was well saved by Guy Robinson.

Rovers replied when Marc Cameron won the ball in midfield and had a shot from 25 yards that went just past.

As the half progressed, strong play by St Andrews forced Rovers on to the back foot and they had a few shots from outside the box that were either saved or flew over the bar.

St Andrews were awarded a corner which wasn’t properly cleared by the Pittenweem defence and, during the scramble, the ball was forced home to make the score 2-2.

Both sides had chances to win the game, with St Andrews having a couple of dangerous crosses that were cleared and a shot from 30 yards that was saved by Robinson.

Rovers had a good chance after 33 minutes when a long ball from David Wilson found Neale Smith who laid it back for Marc Cameron to shoot from inside the box, which produced another good save by the St Andrews ‘keeper.

The final effort of the game also fell to Pittenweem with a Gary Wishart shot which went just past.