Star stun Bowhill with fight back to win 3-2

Star Hearts in their new black strips force the early pressure.
Star Hearts in their new black strips force the early pressure.
Share this article

STAR Hearts travelled to Cardenden to take on Bowhill Rovers in a Fosters Fife Cup first-round tie.

Star began the game with eight of the Kennoway players who lifted the trophy last season in the starting line-up.

A clever run in to Star’s penalty box in the 35th minute saw their striker twist and turn past three defenders before placing his shot beyond the diving ‘keeper.

Star didn’t react to this, which saw them lose a second goal when a Bowhill striker was quickest to react in the box after a long throw in.

The second half started with Star immediately putting their opponents under pressure.

With less than 46 minutes on the clock, Star midfielder Gary Ramsay broke into the box before cleverly cutting the ball back to Martyn Thomson who saw his shot saved.

Unfortunately for the big Bowhill ‘keeper, he could only push the shot in to the path of the waiting Ryan Thomson, who bundled the ball over the line.

The Bowhill defenders protested that the ball had not crossed the line but the referee was well placed and the goal was awarded.

Star continued to press Bowhill at every opportunity but their defence held firm.

On 57 minutes, Star made a substitution, bringing on Mark Makhouli for Andy MacDonald.

Makhouli’s composure and precise passing was to pile even more misery on the Bowhill rearguard, who were starting to look jaded.

This pressure paid off in the 75th minute when Makhouli delivered a stinging free kick into the Bowhill box.

This was met by Star captain Paul MacBride, who made no mistake

Star continued to run the Bowhill defence ragged in search of the winner and, in the 83rd minute, Gary Ramsay made a good run down the left wing before cutting in to the box where he was upended by a defender.

Ryan Thomson took the responsibility for the spot kick and tucked the ball in to the corner.