Third time’s a charm as Star sink Rosebank

editorial image
Share this article

THIS Fife Cup quarter-final was finally played at the third time of asking due to the inclement weather.

Due to suspension and injury, Star were denied the services of several key players but in turn handed a debut to new signing from Thornton Hibs Kieran McGuire.

The home side got the game under way and from the off Star dominated possession, but were unable to convert their superiority.

Martyn Thomson did have the ball in the net after 14 minutes but was adjudged offside. An Ally Gray free- kick then saw the ‘keeper spill the ball, but there were no takers to follow up.

Martyn Thomson then had a great turn and strike from the edge of the box, but it went narrowly over the bar.

Rosebank in turn looked lively on the counter attack and went close from a volley that Curran did well to gather at the second attempt.

Rosebank, when they did get forward, were using their height at set-plays to every opportunity and they duly took the lead two minutes before half time.

A corner from Star’s left saw Curran catch the ball but he was barged into from behind, the ball fell out of his grasp and a Rosebank player pounced to fire home.

Star got the second half under way and immediately attacked the Rosebank goal.

Gary Ramsay came close to equalising with a header that skimmed the crossbar.

Parity was restored by a great move involving Martyn Thomson and Gary Ramsay which saw the latter’s cross bulleted home by Ryan Thomson from five yards out.

Stefan Anderson then made a surging run into the box and was brought down for a penalty to Star. Ryan Thomson stepped up and coolly sidefooted into the corner of the net for 2-1.

Chances were now going a-begging as Rosebank came forward looking for an equaliser. David Thomson should have increased the lead, but blazed over from three yards with an empty net in front of him.

But Star didn’t have to wait long until they increased their lead, and it was Ryan Thomson again to complete his hat-trick. Star had chances to increase their lead with John Shields missing a one-on-one and Martyn Thomson coming close.

With the 90 mins up the ref blew for full-time with Star running out deserved winners in the end. They now move on to play Rosyth Wanderers in the semis.

STAR HEARTS – Curran, McIntosh, MacDonald, Bremner, Gray, D. Thomson, Anderson, McGuire, Ramsay, R. Thomson, M. Thomson.

Subs – Makhouli - Ramsay, Martin - MacDonald, Shields - M.Thomson, McConnell - Anderson, S. Davidson.