Howe of Fife 17-15 Berwick

Howe made the perfect start and, after having weathered the combined driving of the Berwick forwards, a strong defence caused the visitors to spill the ball forward.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 26th January 2022, 11:25 am
Jake Douglas charges through the Berwick defence. Pic by Chris Reekie Photography
Jake Douglas charges through the Berwick defence. Pic by Chris Reekie Photography

From the scrum, Harley released the backs and the final pass was finished off in the corner by Eden Cruickshank.

When Berwick kicked intelligently into the corner, putting the pressure back on Howe, it paid off. Howe were penalised for holding on, strangely Berwick opted for the kick instead of the scrum. A successful penalty reduced the margin to two points.

Close to the half time whistle, Howe were penalised twice in front of their own posts.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

This time Berwick opted for a scrum.

Howe fell off a couple of tackles and Berwick scored close to the corner flag. The conversion attempt fell short.

With the referee blowing for half time, Howe were behind by five points.

The visitors took the initiative from the restart.

With Howe going forward, the ball was ripped away from their possession in a crucial area of the field. Berwick seized the opportunity, scoring wide out. Again, their conversion attempt dropped short.

Howe’s James Lawrie was on the end of a lengthy passage of controlled phased rugby to drive over by the posts. Smith made a hash of the easy conversion.

This was turning out to be an exciting, entertaining contest.

Howe’s combination play and support running through the whole team created the field position close to the opposition line. Gregor Smith, in one of his barnstorming runs, appeared to be held up as he crossed the line. The referee awarded the try to level the game. Smith was successful with a much more difficult and important kick.

The match played out with Berwick striving to get a winning score.

Howe retained their composure, making crucial tackles, covering every inch of Duffus, working tirelessly, repelling every attack. As the minutes ticked away, Howe controlled play andHarley kicked the ball into touch to signal final whistle.