Oz bound Alex leads Waid to crushing win

Alex Cregg is carried off by team mates after leading his side to a win before leaving for Australia.
Alex Cregg is carried off by team mates after leading his side to a win before leaving for Australia.

Waid 63 Perthshire 2nd XV 0

In his farewell match with his adopted club before returning to Australia, Alex Gregg led Waid to a fine victory at Anstruther to keep them in running for the promotion playoffs.

The game started well for Waid from the kick off.

The ball failed to reach the 10 metre line but Mark Paton latched onto it and drove into the Perthshire attack before Adam Saw seized on the advantage and fed the departing Australian to score the first of the day’s trials, converted by Gary Anderson.

That was followed soon afterwards by Waid going on the opposite side from where Perthshire expected them and Niall Hutchison belied his size to force his way over in the corner.

The backs continued to enjoy fine ball from their forwards and Alan Drysdale went over for the third try, again converted by Gary Anderson.

Ally Brunton was then the deserved recipient of the final pass after multiple phases of rucks forced Perthshire backwards then Dylan Muir added a try after further rucks and a penalty allowed him the space he needed to run through the defence and touch down, again this was converted by Anderson.

At the start of the second half Alan Drysdale was the last player involved when the ball was stolen against the head by the scrum and from number eight, Alex Gregg’s pick and go, Drysdale scored, again converted by Anderson.

Gregg then scored himself from the back of a scrum and burst two tackles to reach the line.

Andrew MacIver then scored after some wonderful handling to keep the ball and beat the defence, the Robbie Allen ran a good half of the field to score from another dominant scrum win.

Adam Shaw then capped a fine performance when he was on the end of Alan Drysdale’s great run through the Perthshire defence.

John Murray then capped the match off with a neat more up the wing to bring the match to an end.

Conversions in the second half were shared by Gary Anderson and Dylan Muir.

A spokesman for the club paid tribute to their Australia bound skipper.

He said: “Shortly before full time, Gregg was brought off the pitch to warm applause from the sizeable crowd.

After the match ended and teams had shaken hands, Alex was chaired off the pitch by two former captains.

“In the clubhouse, both sets of players and fans joined in Alex’ farewell presentation and entertainment.

“From all at Waid, we wish Alex and his wife all the best when the head to Australia.”

Waid now enter a winter break and will return for competitive action in the New Year.

The club’s next scheduled fixture is against Dundee University on January 7.