Rain is the real winner at Gilvenbank

Rain stopped play at Gilvenbank
Rain stopped play at Gilvenbank

Glenrothes first XI took on RH Corstorphine in a top of the table ESCA Championship clash on Saturday, while Craig Gould led the all conquering third XI out against SMRH on the smaller oval.

The second XI, who have been starved of match action in recent weeks, made the trip across the water to take on Livingston, while the fourth XI were inactive as Stirling County were unable to raise a team.

From the start of the day everyone knew it was going to be tight to get any matches played with storms forecast to arrive across Scotland around 4.00 p.m. Despite this all three matches were started in glorious sunshine.

First XI skipper Chris Greaves lost the toss and was asked to field. Glenrothes had suggested making it a 30 over game rather than the normal 50 so there was a chance it could be finished but RHC rejected.

The usual pair of Kenneth Crichton and Graeme Beghin opened the bowling and followed suit to how they have bowled over the last few weeks, keeping it tight and picking up 

It only took until the second over for Glens to strike with Beghin picking up two wickets in the over. Kenny yet again bowled his 10 overs straight picking up 1/23.

Once Kenny came off Scott Lucas and Vasu Reddy came on to bowl and it wasn’t long before Vasu picked up the prized wicket of skipper Cameron Leeder who has the most runs in the league so far with 302.

After this RHC were 40/4 and Robbie Wright came on to bowl, but sadly in his second over pulled up having injured his side so had to stop bowling. RHC began to build a partnership finally and lasted well sticking in until the 43rd over and their partnership was worth 79 runs.

Fraser Gosse broke the partnership with a sharp stumping from Alec Davies. There were a couple of late cameos from RHC and run outs for GCC and after 50 overs RHC ended on 157/8.

Unfortunately that was the end of play as at the teas break the heavens opened and, with no end to the rain in sight, it was decided play was over. It was a shame as it looked like it could have been an interesting chase with both teams probably confident they would come out on top.

Glenrothes second XI also took to the field in Livingston, bowling the hosts out for 135 before rain stopped the Glens chase before it could begin. There were notable bowling performances from Kris Glen and Libin Thomas and by all accounts a stunning diving catch from skipper Willie Morrison.

SMRH won the toss against Glenrothes third XI and both skippers agreed to a shortened 30 over match to see if cricket could be the winner rather than the weather. Glens openers Lewis and Bremner bowled fine spells and were well supported by fine spells from Gavin Henderson and skipper Craig Gould.

Sharp in the field, mainly thanks to the lethal arm of Awais Ali, the visitors were bowled out for only 66. Rather sportingly the SMRH captain declined teas opting for a quick turnaround while the sun still shone.

Glens openers Muir and Lewis didn’t hang around and hit some fine shots to set about the chase. Muir was bowled for three but Lewis went on to score 34 and Awais Ali was a great support to him smashing a quick fire 24 to win the match in the 12th over of the GCC innings.

Next up is the Fife Cup Twenty20 semi-final versus Dunnikier in Kirkcaldy on Thursday evening from 6.00 p.m, a match re-arranged due to weather last week.

Both clubs would love to see a few spectators but if you cannot make it for whatever reason then you can catch the whole match live on LiveSport.co.uk where it will be streamed live.