Reber seals vital Caps’ win for Fife Flyers

Fife Flyers logo large hi-res
Fife Flyers logo large hi-res

Fife Flyers kept their play-off push alive with a 3-2 in Edinburgh tonight - their sixth victory in seven outings.

They were 2-0 up and cruising after dominating the opening period, but conceded momentum to Capitals who pushed them all the way as a 2-2 hockey game hung in the balance until Matt Reber’s 53rd minute winner.

The outcome delighted head coach Todd Dutiaume , but he admitted: ‘‘When you are on a roll you can win games even if you are not the better team.

‘‘We were the best side in the first period, but then shut off, and when that happens it is hard to get that momentum back. Edinburgh had it and we didn’t - but we created chances, hit the post, and found a way to win, and that’s a big positive.’’

Flyers looked to be in the mood to inflict a hefty defeat on Capitals as they barnstormed the opening period, taking it 2-0 and bewildering their hosts with some lightning quick moves.

Skating with pace and applying constant pressure, they went ahead at 1:55 when netminder Thomas Hiadlovsky failed to hold Ned Luckacevic’s shot, and the puck rolled into the net.

It was 2-0 just three minutes later as Flyers struck with a superb counter attack. Derek Roehl did the groundwork in his own zone, setting up Justin DaCosta on the wing, and his pass to the back post was turned home by the hard-working Matt Reber.

With referee Neil Wilson letting the game flow - he called nothing for 20 minutes then went through a nitpicking spell of minor penalties in the second - Flyers created some great chances and could easily have been four or five goals to the good by the first break.

It took Caps until 37:57 to ring the red light; Peter Holecko netting on the powerplay, but it came after some sustained pressure by the home side.

Caps finished the period the better team, and they got the equaliser their play deserved at 50:11 as Michal Dobron had three shots on the powerplay, and his third was a peach as he sent the puck from the blue line straight into the back of the net.

Flyers needed to respond, and they did with a superb wrist shot from Reber at 53:58.

Caps pulled netminder Hiadlovsky as the clock wound down to the final 30 seconds - he was looking to go with the best part of two minutes remaining, and there were opportunities to pull him but the bench declined. Fortune favours the brave, and had they done so they may have forced this smashing game into over-time.

Flyers face an early start on Sunday morning as they head to Cardiff for a potentially season defining game.

The welsh side are now firmly in their sights in a race for the play-offs, and a win on the road turn up the heat significantly.

Flyers then face Dundee Stars at FIA on Tuesday evening.