Reds miss out on the derby bragging rights

Share this article

Glenrothes U18 10 - Kirkcaldy U18 22

This was a hard fought local derby, played on a very muddy pitch which ensured that the game would have few flowing passing moves, but this did not detract in any way from the contest.

Kirkcaldy, playing uphill in the first-half, enjoyed the early pressure and advanced into the Glenrothes 22 with a series of penalties and lines out.

The ball was moved into midfield and another penalty awarded in front of the posts.

The attempt on goal was however unsuccessful.

Kirkcaldy did not have to wait long for their opening points as the drop-out which followed the penalty attempt was charged down.

Kirkcaldy’s forwards moved upfield, picking and driving until the Glenrothes’ defence was stretched and the ball was moved along the back line, allowing the right winger to cross the line near the corner flag.

The try was not converted.

This setback seemed to wake up the Carleton youngsters and promising breaks by Farook Mohammed and David Gray raised the hopes of their supporters.

Kenny Harrow confirmed this improvement by slicing through the Kirkcaldy defence to score on the left, although just too wide for Gray’s attempted conversion.

Glenrothes continued to press and forwards and backs combined to create the opportunity for Sam Duncan to crash over, again near the left corner flag, to give a half-time score of 10-5.

It was likely that playing uphill in the second-half would make it difficult for Glenrothes to hold onto their lead, and so it proved.

Kirkcaldy’s right-winger burst through weak tackling to draw the scores level, although it looked for a while as if he was aiming to cross the dead ball line before touching down.

Kirkcaldy continued to attack to be met with solid defence from Glenrothes.

A penalty in front of the posts set up a forward drive with the ball touched down under the posts.

Some of the Glenrothes support were unhappy about the manner of this score, feeling that the Kirkcaldy pack were bound before the ball was tapped and Lee Gartshore felt the full weight of the Kirkcaldy forwards, requiring lengthy treatment before he was able to continue.

The conversion this time was a formality.

Glenrothes were still in the game, but finding it difficult to exert any real pressure on the Kirkcaldy defence.

Their cause was not aided by having two of their attempts at clearing kicks charged down.

The referee missed what appeared to be a blatant knock-on in the build up to the final score. allowing Kirkcaldy to score, on the left hand side of the pitch.

Despite a defeat to their local rivals, the Glenrothes youngsters can take great credit for their part in a thoroughly entertaining game of rugby, played with passion, commitment and discipline throughout.

Glenrothes: F. Mohammed, C. Fisher, L. Winn, K. Harrow, S. Duncan, A. Campbell, D. Gray, R. Lees, C. Spittal, M. Caldwell, J. Stewart, P. McDonald, H. Beare, L. Gartshore, M. Byers.

The 2nd XV enjoyed a friendly fixture away to Grangemouth, winning 19-10 with tries from Shaun Gray, Jim Scott and Kyle Armstrong. Shaun Gray also kicked two conversions.

The under 16s first fixture in League One, following their promotion, showed them the standards to which they should now aspire as they went down 51-10 away to Kirkcaldy.

The Mini section enjoyed mixed fortunes on Sunday with P4 and P5 each winning both their games against Dundee Eagles, with the visitors gaining revenge at P6 and P7.

Next Saturday sees a 2pm kick off for the 1st XV who entertain Aberdeen University at Carleton Park, while the Colts travel to Bridgehaugh to face Stirling County.

The 2nd XV are scheduled to play Strathmore at Carleton.

On Sunday the under 16s face Dundee Eagles while the under 14s and Minis take on Blairgowrie all at home.