Blues have Biggar problems in defence

Kirkcaldy RFC v Biggar RFC, BT National League Division 2, 2nd October 2015. (Photo by Michael Booth)
Kirkcaldy RFC v Biggar RFC, BT National League Division 2, 2nd October 2015. (Photo by Michael Booth)


Kirkcaldy plunged further down the National 2 table following another abysmal defensive performance at Beveridge Park last Friday night when for the second consecutive league game they shipped six tries.

Altogether the Blues have now conceded 28 scores in this campaign in only five matches.

If these shortcomings are not quickly addressed the team is heading straight for the division’s exit door.

Biggar looked the smarter team throughout but the Kirkcaldy forwards put in a big effort and would find the losing margin hard to take.

Towards the end they were camped near the Biggar line for several minutes seeking the try which would have given them a bonus point.

The ball eventually popped out on the other side and full back Richard Peacock found a defence in disarray and had the easiest of tasks to score his team’s sixth try of the game.

Biggar had been a side in disarray at the start of the season having been relegated last spring.

However with the judicious acquisition of players from overseas they have been transformed and it would be no surprise if they were in contention for promotion next March.

Kirkcaldy were by no means outclassed with the forwards competing well against a well drilled eight with the line-out mainly secure and some driving mauls catching the eye.

Still on the positive side 18-year-old winger Owen Bonner impressed as an attacker and was well worth his two tries and could fill for years to come the position occupied with distinction for many years by his father Jimmy.

Biggar seized the early initiative and tries from Peacock and winger Craig MacDonald, both converted by Francois Nel, gave them a deserved 14-0 lead after 15 minutes.

It took Kirkcaldy a while to settle before a Bonner try brought them into the game. They had a chance to further reduce their deficit but Finlay Smith’s penalty drifted past.

By the interval a second Peacock try resulted from Kirkcaldy defensive disorder and with Nel’s conversion half-time arrived with Biggar leading 21-7.

The Blues had a reasonable share of the ball in the second half but lacking through unavailability strike runners Kurt Littlejohn and Dayle Turner there was a bluntness in their back play.

It was left to the forwards to take the game to the Biggar line and some well organised mauls produced a try for flanker Rory Brown.

No sooner had Kirkcaldy scored than Biggar make the most of more defensive blundering by the home backs to give Graham Jamieson easy passage to the line.

Any progress made by the Kirkcaldy pack seemed to be regularly negated by their backs constantly being drawn out of position making it straight forward for the visitors and Peacock strolled in for his side’s fifth counter in the 70th minute.

There was no comeback open to the Blue by now but the forward effort continued and gave Bonner space to touch down for a try well converted by Smith.

A bonus point try was within Kirkcaldy sights but spilled ball allowed Peacock to race away for his side’s sixth and final try.

Kirkcaldy: A Brooks, O Bonner, J Moffat, Q Sanft, M Brooks, F Smith, C Parsons, D Jennings, Jack Pow, G Mangalo, C Wood, James Pow, R Brown, S Mitchell, L Neilson. Replacements: G Queen, R Girdler, S Milne, S Wilson.

Biggar: R Peacock, C MacDonald, R Lavery, G Jamieson, J Warnock, F Nel, A Jardine, D Voss, W Stewart, D O’Connell, J Orr, A Lyon, A Warnock, D Notman, S Warnock. Replacements: A Orr, Peacock, P Davidson, P Millar.

Referee: J Shaw (WSRRS).

Star Check: 3 Owen Bonner, 2 Rory Brown, 1 George Mangalo.

Current standings: 4 James Pow, Mangalo; 3 McKenzie, Turner, Wood, Bonner; 2 Littlejohn, Brown, Neilson; 1 Moffat, Jack Pow.