Blues try record broken in 91-0 rout

Kirkcaldy RFC vs Livingston RFC'Match 17, BT National League Division 2,'14th February 2015.'Photo: Michael Booth
Kirkcaldy RFC vs Livingston RFC'Match 17, BT National League Division 2,'14th February 2015.'Photo: Michael Booth

Kirkcaldy 91 Livingston 0

Running in 15 tries, the highest ever scored by Kirkcaldy in a league game, the final hour of this match was as one sided as could be imagined.

Kirkcaldy RFC vs Livingston RFC'Match 17, BT National League Division 2,'14th February 2015.'Photo: Michael Booth

Kirkcaldy RFC vs Livingston RFC'Match 17, BT National League Division 2,'14th February 2015.'Photo: Michael Booth

A slow tempo Kirkcaldy start in which they searched for continuity hardly suggested such a commanding outcome.

Set piece ball abounded but handling errors meant that the scoreboard didn’t move in the first 15 minutes.

The only incident of note in that time was a flare up involving a dozen players wisely ended by the referee’s intervention.

The penalty advantage in the early stages favoured Kirkcaldy and from one of Craig Letham’s touch finders to the corner Gavin McKenzie slipped away for the first try to make the score 5-­0.

Play continued unspectacularly with Livingston seemingly coping defensively against constant if uncontrolled Kirkcaldy possession.

Home No.8 Liam Neilson, prominent in the early stages, broke cleanly to the right finding winger Alex Brooks who dashed over for his first senior league try.

Neilson was on target himself for the third Kirkcaldy try minutes later after the Blues had been awarded two penalties for scrummage offences.

Letham had been unsuccessful with the earlier conversions but this time his kick increased the Kirkcaldy lead.

The bonus point came up two minutes later with the first of Dayle Turner’s two tries. The first was a solo effort from long range with skipper Mark Wallace having a significant assist.

By the half hour point the Livingston pack was reeling against a dominant Kirkcaldy scrummage in which prop Mark Thomson, playing his 200th Kirkcaldy league game, hugely impressed.

Everything was now going Kirkcaldy’s way and Connor Wood’s try emphasised their superiority.

On half time the Kirkcaldy lead had increased to 41­-0 with another Turner try quickly followed by brace from Letham, the first of which he converted.

The second half continued in the same vein.

Brooks skilfully place a grubber kick into the Livingston 22 which forced their defence to scramble the ball into touch.

Kirkcaldy mopped up the resulting line­out giving Neilson another try.

Beleaguered Livingston suffered another blow when skipper Jason Watt had to be assisted off early in the second half.

Pressure rained down on them for much of the remaining time, with only a brief spell in the Kirkcaldy 22 relieving this pressure.

With a lead of 46 points Kirkcaldy could easily have lost focus but to their credit they continued to exploit Livingston weaknesses.

Lock Steve Mitchell, energetic all afternoon, worked his way onto the score sheet taking the Kirkcaldy tally past the half century mark.

With nearly half an hour still to play Livingston were down and out, legs gone and 70 points behind. Kirkcaldy concentration didn’t waver and score followed score.

Chris Mann in a typically meandering run went over followed by Mitchell rounding off a driven line­out maul at the posts, giving Letham the easiest of conversions.

Turner had his second try on the hour mark and thoughts in the crowd were turning to Kirkcaldy’s previous highest league score, 92­-0, also against Livingston, eight years ago.

Livingston regularly failed to find touch and Kirkcaldy were running everything back at them. The closing minutes produced three more Kirkcaldy tries from half backs Letham and McKenzie and hooker Jack Pow along with another couple of Letham conversions.

Scoring 15 tries must be commended but much sterner tests now await Kirkcaldy before the end of the season and it will be interesting to see if they can maintain this fine run of results against three of the promotion contenders, starting with Musselburgh on Saturday.

Kirkcaldy:­ K Littlejohn, A Brooks, C Mann, M Wallace, C Littlejohn, C Letham, G McKenzie, M Thomson, Jack Pow, G Wallace, S Mitchell, C Wood, S Milne, D Turner, L Neilson. Replacements:­ M Henderson, James Pow, Q Sanft, G Neilson.

Livingston:­ E Naysmith, I Simmonds, B Shearer, A Scobie, R Barclay, K Anderson, A Williamson, K McKnight, McCartin, M Senior, C Rae, S Wright, J Watt, G Tulloch, G Smith. Replacements:­ J Carroll. G Ferrier, W Hamis, G Mushet.

Referee: S Turnbull (Gala)

Star Check: 3 Mark Thomson, 2 Steve Mitchell, 1 Gavin McKenzie

Current standings: 21 Turner; 19 M Wallace; 18 L Neilson; 11 Wood; 10 Mitchell, Thomson; 7 Mann, Pow; 6 Bonner; 3 Letham; 2 McKenzie; 1 Smith, G Wallace, C Littlejohn, G Neilson, K Littlejohn.