Win keeps Waid sitting pretty at league’s top

Waid's Niall Hutchison (right)  and John Murray (left)
Waid's Niall Hutchison (right) and John Murray (left)



After losing twice to Arbroath in the league last season, Waid won their second match of this term against the same side and retained the lead in the league with a 29 – 12 win at Anstruther.

The match started well for Waid with several well executed moves being equally well defended by the Arbroath squad.

After several moves off rucks, Adam Shaw went down the blind side, drew the defender and released Niall Hutchison for the first of his two tries on the day.

Good defence by Waid stopped Arbroath equalising and several near misses came for Waid who found it hard to get past very physical Arbroath defending.

A second try followed eventually however when captain Alan Drysdale forced his way past the defenders to touch down and give Waid a 10–0 lead at half time.

Arbroath started the second half full of the determination that they had shown Waid last season and scored a try with strong running to evade the Waid defenders.

Nairn Spence replied however with his own powerful run through a number of Arbroath defenders to score by the posts to assist replacement stand off, Paul Hanlon, to convert.

That was then followed up by second row for the day, Michael Adamson, ripping the ball from an Arbroath attacker and offloading to Mark Guthrie who ran past the defenders and score – again converted by Paul Hanlon.

Waid finished their scoring with a good team effort try - the players offloading well and keeping the ball alive before Niall Hutchison used his size to steal past the remaining defenders and score.

Arbroath finished the game well, however, and took advantage of a lack of awareness by Waid to score a converted try.

Waid now have a two point lead at the top of the table from Dundee Medics.

Next week they play Stobswell. Before the match the players were given new strips from sponsors Allsons and David Barnett.