Shetland bowled over by Waid determination

Waid FP v Shetland
Waid FP v Shetland
Share this article

WAID progressed into the quarter-finals of the RBS Caledonia Regional Bowl after a fine rugby display in treacherous conditions against visitors Shetland.

Shetland have only conceded 15 points in their league to date, so the home team knew it was going to be a mighty tough test.

As expected, Shetland immediately attacked strongly and Waid relied on tough tackling from Fergus Middleton, who was instrumental in the pack and led by example throughout the whole game.

Waid regained control of the game and began to push forward. A penalty was awarded to Waid for foul play and stand-off Paul Lindsay calmly kicked the ball through the uprights, despite the atrocious weather, to give Waid their first points of the day and a 3-0 lead.

Waid regained possession from the restart and continued to attack. Strong runs from centres Andrew MacIver and Richard Bach allowed the home team to set up camp in the opposing 22.

Shetland were again punished for foul play and, once again, Paul Lindsay did not let the wind or rain ruffle him as he kicked another three points.

Waid, sitting 6-0 up, had a tough time before the break. Shetland made numerous attacks and eventually broke the Waid defence line for a one-on-one with full-back John Murray, who was able to prevent the score with a textbook tackle.

But Shetland were rewarded for their attacking efforts when the visitors’ full-back was allowed in to score and the conversion left Waid 7-6 down going into the second half.

On the re-start, Waid skipper Kevin Anderson led a strong attack towards the visitors’ try-line, which ended with Shetland gaving up yet another penalty and Lindsay slotted the ball through the posts to put Waid back in front.

Not one to take their feet off the pedal, Waid got straight back into action and forced their attack forward.

Adam Shaw led the pack en route for what looked to be a promising charge. Camped out on the visitors’ try line, Waid were eventually rewarded with a try from Kevin Anderson.

The score wasn’t converted and a converted try from Shetland would have seen the game tied up. But a strong defence from Waid ensured the visitors returning home empty-handed.

The Anstruther team now face a tough quarter-final away to RAF Lossiemouth RFC on November 26.

The man of the match went to Waid’s second row forward Euan Moncrieff, whose effort was second to none and his jumping in the line was immense.

After the final whistle, Kevin Anderson said: “We had a few late call-offs and injuries during the game but our young lads stepped up to the mark and showed they can perform when called upon.

“Again, this leaves us with a headache for future selections but, for now, this is a great day for Waid Academy FPs.”

This week, Waid are back to league business with a tough test away to Stobswell RFC. Kick-off will be at 2pm in Dundee.

Further information can be found at