Sweet revenge for on-song Blues side

Stevie Mitchell makes a break through the Livingston defence. Photo: Michael Booth
Stevie Mitchell makes a break through the Livingston defence. Photo: Michael Booth
Share this article

Livingston 0 Kirkcaldy 65

The Blues exacted sweet revenge on Livingston after last season’s loss at Almond Park with a ten try demolition.

In control from the kick off against a side which appeared to be in less than full physical fitness, the Blues rarely surrendered the initiative.

Opposition short comings not withstanding, the Blues played at a pace which marked them out in the first five minutes as likely winners.

They showed crispness in passing and handling, not seen for a while, and their ten tries were no more than a just reward for their efforts.

Whenever Livingston had control of the ball their progress shuddered to a halt in the face of strong Kirkcaldy tackling.

Kirkcaldy intent was soon evident as an attacking line-out produced quality ball quickly moved to the left and after deft changes of direction from skipper Mark Wallace, lock Rhys Bonner went in at the posts for a try converted by Jamie Moffat.

At this stage probably no one on the Kirkcaldy camp dreamed that their side would go on to score another nine tries but their purposeful running suggested that the hosts were in for a tough afternoon.

In the next 15 minutes three more scores followed with the bonus point secured by the 22nd minute.

Four try hero Chris Mann on the right wing sent danger signals through Livingston ranks every time he had the ball. Playing through a penalty advantage, Mann glided past defenders at will before dashing to the line for the second try.

He had his second try after a scorching back movement which followed a try from full back Kurt Littlejohn.

Kirkcaldy pace, reminiscent of seasons gone by, was proving to be too hot for Livi to handle and by half time, Quintan Sanft’s men had built up a 36-0 lead with further tries from Dayle Turner and Mann again.

Sanft replaced himself for the second half, introducing last season’s regular No 10 Craig Letham, absent through work commitments for the past two months.

Kirkcaldy momentum continued and a blazing 40 metre run from Turner stopped inches from the line. There was no stopping the flanker a few minutes later when he scored his second try with Letham converting.

Around the middle of the second half Livingston made a big effort to rescue some pride with good forward work which tested the Kirkcaldy defence but failed to move the scoreboard. For a short period Kirkcaldy concentration dipped and then they lost Steve Mitchell, shown a yellow card.

Any hope the home side might have had of closing the gap disappeared with Mann’s fourth try with 10 minutes left and in that time Kirkcaldy ascendancy returned.

While Kirkcaldy had run many of their penalties, Letham chose to go for goal from about 48 metres out and took his side’s tally to 53.

In added time Kirkcaldy had two more tries with Greg Wallace getting the touch after a driven maul and in the final play hooker Jack Pow claimed the try.

Kirkcaldy face strong opposition on the next three Saturdays but this is a developing team, improving all the time, and may surprise some of the more fancied sides in the division before long.

Livingston: E Naysmith, C Marshall, R Barclay, I Simmonds, C Caldwell, K Anderson, A Williamson, M McConville, B Meeham, M Tamositis, S Mushet, J Miller, J Watt, J King, C Clark. Replacements: A Ferguson, G Tulloch, B Middelmass, L Simmonds

Kirkcaldy: K Littlejohn, C Mann, M Wallace, J Moffat, G Neilson, Q Sanft, G McKenzie, M Thomson, J Pow, G Wallace, C Woods, R Bonner, S Milne, D Turner, L Neilson. Replacements: S McLean, S Mitchell, C Letham.

Referee: D Timson (CRRS)

Star Check: 3 Dayle Turner, 2 Chris Mann, 1 Connor Woods

Current standings: 12 Turner; 8 Milne; 7 L Neilson, Mann; 5 Pow; 4 M Wallace, Woods; 3 Bonner; 2 Thomson; 1 Smith, G Wallace, McKenzie.

Next match: Saturday, November 1 - Musselburgh (a). League game. Kick-off 2.00 p.m.