Waid end long wait for trophy

editorial image
Share this article

Waid Academy ended a 15-year wait to claim the The Whisky Trophy – aka The David Joy Vase – at the expense of rivals Madras on Sunday.

The trophy is competed for annually between the two clubs, unless weather or rescheduled fixtures force a cancellation - which has happened for the past two seasons.

However, the game was played yesterday at Station Park in perfect rugby conditions and ended in a 24-5 victory for Waid.

Madras held a veterans’ lunch before the game, attended by the many fine players who represented the club with distinction when they competed equally against clubs that remain in the higher echelons of Scottish rugby. Therefore, a large crowd was gathered for the match.

It was always going to be a tricky fixture for the Waid lads, with Madras playing in a higher league than the East Neuk outfit.

Madras kicked off and Waid gathered the ball and held possession for a small amount of time while slowly making gains towards their opponents try line.

Eventually, Waid conceded a line out in the Madras twenty-two.

An error on the home side’s part saw Waid’s strong number eight Gary McLaggan gain possession of the ball and powered over the line to put Waid in the lead.

Waid were looking in control and were managing to hold any attack at bay, especially with lock Kato Blockley and centre Kieran Doak tackling so solidly.

Waid were again threatening the Madras try line and captain Craig Stevenson joined the backline and shipped the ball to winger George Hodge, who exploited the space on the wing and touched down for Waid’s second.

Stand-off Paul Lindsay converted and it was 12-0 at half time.

Waid were keen to increase their lead and did so shortly after the half-time whistle, when scrum-half Stephen Denny shipped the ball to full-back John Murray, who beat his man out wide to dive over the line.

Now 17 points in the lead, Madras began to look a little more threatening with strong runs and clever chip through kicks which saw them make significant yardage.

The Madras number 10 was eventually able to side step the Waid defence and storm through to get the home side off the mark with a great try.

Waid were able to readjust themselves and get control over the game again.

A terrific move from centre Adam Shaw gave Hodge space to race through the defence to score his second of the day.

Soon after, the final whistle blew and Waid had accomplished a win the Anstruther side had not seen for over 15 years.

David Joy, a Madras veteran and stalwart of the club, designed the trophy and was on hand to present it to the victorious captain, Craig Stevenson.

After the presentation, Stevenson said: “This is definitely one of my proudest days in a Waid shirt.

“It’s been a long time since we’ve brought the trophy back down to Anstruther and I am honoured to be doing that today.”

Man of the match was awarded to Waid’s Fergus Middleton, whose strength and determination played a key part in the East Neuk side’s victory.

Next week, Waid are back to league duties when they travel to Rosyth to play Fife Southern with a 2.00 p.m kick off.