Waid flying high before grounding by RAF men

Waid Buccanneers captain Mick McCowan with St Andrews Day Veteran Trophy. The Buccanneers are WAid FPs' over-35s side
Waid Buccanneers captain Mick McCowan with St Andrews Day Veteran Trophy. The Buccanneers are WAid FPs' over-35s side
Share this article

RAF Lossiemouth........26

Waid Academy FP........10

WAID travelled north while missing a few key players who were unable to make the long journey to Lossiemouth for the RBS Caledonia Bowl quarter-finals.

Blustery conditions played its part from the kick-off and Waid stand-off Paul Hanlon was unlucky with a penalty attempt.

Then his opposite number mis-kicked and the ball fell into the arms of Waid’s powerful winger, Kato Blockley, who ran through for the first points of the day.

Hanlon made no mistake this time and converted the kick, making it 7-0 to the Anstruther men.

The FPs continued to pile on the pressure but weather conditions resulted in a few bungled opportunities.

Still in attack, though, Waid won another penalty and decided on the kick at goal, which sailed through the uprights.

The RAF were 10-0 down and Waid, ironically, were flying high.

Just before the curtain closed on the first half, Lossie’s winger crashed over for an unconverted try, reducing the gap to 10-5.

Waid unfortunately lost Hanlon to a nasty injury during the last play, which forced a reshuffle.

As the second half commenced, Waid’s defence was put to the test but responded well and they gradually moved out from their 22 by using their robust and influential forwards.

The hosts, however, were eventually rewarded for their perseverance and got their try through forward play, putting the RAF into the lead for the first time in the game. Soon afterwards, Lossie used their brawny centre to break the defence line and score a third try.

Waid, never a team to give up, replied by crashing the ball up the middle but RAF Lossiemouth were able once again to get ownership of the ball and score their last converted try of the day, making it 26-10.

Man of the match was awarded to Waid skipper Kevin Anderson, who said: “Myself and the lads were gutted not to progress to the semis.

“We made the long haul north with a depleted squad but I’m proud of how the younger lads are improving week by week.

“Waid rugby is getting stronger every weekend and, as long as we work, train and play hard, the rewards will come.”

Waid are back in league action this weekend, with an away fixture to Stirling’s Bridgehaugh.

Meanwhile, Waid Buccaneers, the over-35s squad, enjoyed a fine win in the St Andrews Day Veterans tournament, hosted by Madras Rugby Club.

This follows last year’s successful inaugural event and has been renamed the Rikki Lees Memorial Tournament, after the sad loss of the Madras stalwart earlier in the year.

The Buccaneers dominated their first match against Hillfoots, winning 47-0 with tries Eric Anderson (2), David Brown (2), Richard Dyce, Colin Drysdale and Alex Reed. Conversions were added by Mick McCowan and Bill Hughes.

Next was a tricky fixture against Kinross, which Waid won the hard way. Kinross broke to score and lead 5-0 at half-time, but Waid scored second-half tries through Iain Brocklebank and Richard Dyce to seal the victory 10-5.

This set up things nicely for a decider between Waid and Madras and a ‘winner takes all’ scenario.

Alex Reed rounded off a fine early move for Waid, which proved the only score of the game.

Madras lost their Argentinian coach to a red card following a bust-up off the ball as tensions increased.

Buccaneers skipper Mick McCowan, pictured right, received the trophy from Gill Lees, Rikki Lees’ widow.