Waid win at home of rugby

Waid Academy FP RFC's weekend encounter at Murrayfield Wanderers: photo of Waid's (left to right) Kieran Doak, Gary McLaggan, Allan Drysdale and John Murray.
Waid Academy FP RFC's weekend encounter at Murrayfield Wanderers: photo of Waid's (left to right) Kieran Doak, Gary McLaggan, Allan Drysdale and John Murray.
Share this article

Murrayfield Wanderers.5

Waid Academy FP........15

TRIES at Murrayfield are something of a rare sight these days but the Waid rugby team was able to cross the line twice at the home of Scottish rugby on Saturday.

The men from Anstruther travelled with a large pool of players, keen to record a victory on Edinburgh soil.

With fair conditions, a slight cross wind and a terrific playing surface, a fantastic match was hopefully the next port of call.

However, the game started off slowly, with both teams testing each others’ defence.

Waid began to play continuous fluid rugby, recycling the ball skilfully.

The flourishing duo in the centre, consisting of Allan Drysdale and Kieran Doak, constantly threatened their opponents, with dominant running making things difficult for Murrayfield.

Despite the match being a friendly, both teams were becoming irritated and penalties began to arise.

Adam Shaw was finally successful with his third penalty attempt of the day, while Waid regained their flowing style as young hooker Rory Doak burst through the Murrayfield line and dived over for an unconverted try.

Waid pushed for a further score before the end of the half, and strong explosive bursts from wingers Kato Blockley and Paul Kennedy were unfortunately halted.

Drysdale, however, blew apart his opposite number and was through for a certain score, but was taken down by a Murrayfield winger with a high tackle which looked certain to merit a penalty try.

But the referee, unhappy with the response from Waid players, decided to reverse the penalty in favour of the home team.

This concluded the first half, with Waid 8-0 in the lead.

The second half started in similar fashion to the first and Waid were camped in the opposition’s half, persistently trying to get the ball over the line.

Murrayfield were struggling to contain hits from vice-captain Craig Stevenson and prop Richard Thompson.

Flanker Gary McLaggan also came close to a score, had it not been for another high tackle.

Waid did, on a couple of occasions, get the ball over the line but were held up, so no score could be awarded.

Despite controlling the game, Waid began to get nervous and Murrayfield eventually got a chance for a score as the opposite flanker broke through the line to be met one on one with full-back John Murray, who fortunately took his man down to leave Murrayfield scoreless.

Waid prop Duncan Fraser decided to show the opposition he meant business when he got his hands on the ball, and charged through half the opposition from 25 yards out, to eventually storm over the try line. Shaw made sure of the conversion and Waid were now 15 points in the lead.

Murrayfield made a final attempt to get something from the day and were eventually rewarded with a non-converted try.

Man of the match was awarded to Rory Doak, who had a tremendous game and was always a hazard for the home side when he got his hands on the ball.

Captain Kevin Anderson said afterwards: “This was a great away win for the boys and especially for it to take place in the shadow of our national stadium.

“I’m extremely proud of the lads and their performance.”

Waid are next in action away to Stirling County team Bridgehaugh, on March 24, with a 3pm kick-off.

For more Waid rugby news, visithttp://www.pitchero.com/clubs/waidacademyfp/