Winning final touch from Waid

Waid Academy FP RFC 2011
Waid Academy FP RFC 2011

WAID FP travelled west on Saturday to play Stirling County team Bridgehaugh and notched up a 31-5 win.

Playing in the shadow of the Wallace monument, the Anstruther men adopted the Scottish warrior’s fighting spirit to ensure their last league rugby fixture resulted in a win.

Conditions were damp but warm, with a dazzling sun in the eyes of the players, providing a slight hindrance for both teams.

Waid kicked off and the hosts hit back hard straight away, in search of the early score.

However, the renowned Waid defence ensured Bridgehaugh remained in their own half for pretty much most of the first period.

The visitors battered the home side’s line, mainly through Allan Drysdale powerfully shattering his opposite number.

Waid were recycling the ball well and scrum-half Kieran Doak was doing well to spin the ball out through the line.

Centre Richard Bach did well to make good yardage before offloading to flanker Gary McLaggan, who commanded his way through the opposition’s line to score Waid’s first try in the corner.

The difficult conversion attempt was unfortunately missed but Waid were awarded several scrums following knock-ons from the opposition. Father and son duo Harry and Paul Brown ensured Waid maintained possession with terrific scrimmaging.

Once again, the ball was fed out throughout the back line and found the hands of Doak, whose pace could not be matched, and he swiftly glided over the line to ensure Waid’s second score.

Adam Shaw converted, which concluded the first half with the East Neuk side 12-0 ahead.

The second half began and it was Waid’s turn to receive the kick this time. The visiting team were very keen to extend their lead, and winger Kato Blockley threatened the line with his powerful running.

After, offloading to Bach, a ruck formed close to the try line. McLaggan picked up and found a gap in the line before showboating with a beautiful dive over the line. Stand-off Hanlon converted and Waid were 19-0 up.

Bridgehaugh, still in search of turning the game around, were awarded a penalty near the halfway line for illegal play on Waid’s part.

Unhappy with this, Waid continued to make their feelings known and the referee continued to punish them by repeatedly moving the penalty forward.

Now close to Waid’s try line, Bridgehaugh quickly exploited the extra men they had out wide and were gifted an easy but unconvertedscore in the corner.

Waid decided to step it up a gear and responded without delay. Some terrific rugby ensured they were in close proximity to the opposition’s try area.

Despite the opponents’ good defence, Waid offloaded to right winger Lucas Miskiewicz, who touched down in the right-hand corner. Regrettably, the kick was too challenging to convert.

Waid showed no mercy and decided to strike the home side’s line once again. A spilled ball in the centre went backwards and was recovered by Doak. He ran across to the other side of the pitch, leaving the defence standing, to touch down between the posts, setting up an easy conversion.

Captain Kevin Anderson said: “This was a fantastic win to end the season. Despite already securing second place, we still went out and battled as hard as we could. The boys should be proud of themselves – I certainly am a proud captain!”

Man of the match was awarded to Allan Drysdale, who wore out the opposition with his battering runs and punishing hits.

Waid are in friendly action against Carnoustie this week, in an away game with a 2.30pm kick-off.