Kirkcaldy TSB bank closure: The day raiders struck and made off on push bikes

The closure of the TSB branch in Templehall, Kirkcaldy, draws a line under one of the town’s most perplexing unsolved crimes.

By Allan Crow
Tuesday, 27th April 2021, 8:16 am

It’s five years since two men armed with a hand gun and a crowbar robbed the branch and made off with a four-figure sum of cash - on push bikes.

They fled with the money stuffed in plastic bags, sparking an investigation which involved Interpol and an appeal on BBC’s Crimewatch.

But, five years on, the thieves remain at large - despite police insisting the answers lay very close to home.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

TSB Bank raid Kirkcaldy, CCTV images of the duo on their bikes

The raid happened on Friday, January 29, 2016.

It was mid morning, when two men demanded cash, and threatened staff with a handgun and crowbar.

While no-one was injured, staff were left traumatised - police described it as a “harrowing” ordeal.

They launched an immediate investigation, and stepped up patrols in the area.

TSB bank robbery Kirkcaldy - police cordon off the branch

It was quickly established the duo had arrived on bikes from Alford Avenue, and left in the same directions.

Police published CCTV images of the two men as they returned to their push bikes.

TSB Bank raid Kirkcaldy - one of the robbers on his bike

The first man was white, in his late 20s or early 30s with dark stubble on his face. He wore a dark coloured baseball cap and dark coloured clothing.

The second was also white, 5ft 9ins tall, around 30 years old, of medium build and with stubble.

He wore a dark coloured baseball cap, dark blue/grey hooded top and dark coloured trainers

The investigation search stretched as far as the European mainland after detectives alerted Interpol and Borders agencies, believing the culprits could be linked to travelling crime groups.

But police always believed the key to solving the crime lies closer to home.

They carried out significant investigations in the area, and spoke to over 400 local residents, reviewed CCTV and collected forensic evidence at the scene.

Fresh images were released on the first anniversary of the crime in 2017.

Then, Detective Inspector Graeme Dursley of Kirkcaldy CID said: “One year on, we’ve exhausted almost all possible lines of enquiry but we remain committed to bringing the perpetrators of this crime to justice.”

Thank you for reading this article on our free-to-read website. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by Coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

Please consider purchasing a subscription to our print newspaper to help fund our trusted, fact-checked journalism.